Loooong Updates on VIA 1500M

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1500M; One 3rd Edition
I started an update about 45 min ago and there seems to be no end to it. This is not a map update; only gpsfix and the community files that are only 1Mb in size. It used to update a lot faster. I fear the next map update could take half a day or more.

The update page reads: 1. Downloading your content to your computer (check mark). 2. Installing content on your device (check mark) 100%. But it just continues.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I started an update about 45 min ago and there seems to be no end to it. This is not a map update; only gpsfix and the community files that are only 1Mb in size. It used to update a lot faster. I fear the next map update could take half a day or more.

The update page reads: 1. Downloading your content to your computer (check mark). 2. Installing content on your device (check mark) 100%. But it just continues.

Any ideas?
My experience has been that this type of behavior can happen one time and the next time the download may sail right through - or may be just as slow.

One trick that I have found that sometimes works with problem downloads is to pull the USB connection to your computer and then plug it back in again after a couple of seconds. No guarantees of success, but it has worked for me about 3/4 of the time.

- Tom -

Ditto to et's comment.

It appears that there are times when the state engines for the device and MyDrive application do not stay in sync .. in other words, that they do not agree on the current state of a particular update operation, so it gets 'stuck'. The unplug/replug doesn't seem to cause any problems and often resolves the 'stuck' gas gauge problem quickly.

Unplug it while it's updating? That's contrary to the warning on the screen to not disconnect the device.

Unplug it while it's updating? That's contrary to the warning on the screen to not disconnect the device.
Yup.

OK - here's the good news. When performing small updates, a restart isn't a big deal. Worst case, if performing a firmware update, the entire load is checked IN the unit before it is ever used to overwrite old code (which is the reason you can never get within 200MB of the capacity of the unit when you do an update or load any custom stuff). I might be more circumspect about it if I were loading a full map just due to the time involved if a full restart is actually required. These Nav3 units are in some ways a lot more bulletproof than the older versions.

I'm updating now. Same thing happened...been running for about 40min. So I unplugged it, waited a few seconds then plugged it back in and it's still updating. Icon in the tray says 99%.

Just to be clear .. Are you stuck in the download or the update phase?

Another thing to try is to reboot the computer with the device still plugged in. That sometimes wakes things up. Once the update succeeds it installs much more stable software so hopefully this is a 1-time thing.

Another thing to try is to reboot the computer with the device still plugged in. That sometimes wakes things up. Once the update succeeds it installs much more stable software so hopefully this is a 1-time thing.
Nothing seems to work. I tried disconnecting the USB. Rebooting...still UPDATING Do not disconnect your device. This is the first time in 5/6 updates. Doesn't Tom Tom techs know why this happens. It seems Tom Tom technical support is nonexistent. I see Costco stop offering Tom Tom's. Costco is very sensitive about customer support. Any tips...

Try the Recovery Mode on the device. See how to do so HERE
Now mine has been stuck in update mode all afternoon. This procedure is for a device which is stuck in updating mode? That's not what I read on that page.

Recovery mode forces the second-newest software onto the device. There are a lot of fixes in reliability of USB connectivity in the newer software, so it might help with map issues.

CS can also clear and restart downloads server-side which may also help.

There are a lot of fixes in reliability of USB connectivity in the newer software, so it might help with map issues.

CS can also clear and restart downloads server-side which may also help.

Gosh, I don't understand any of that. Should I try recovery mode or just call CS?

Thanks

Recovery mode is a self-help fix. I'd guess 50% chance that it will work.

CS requires calling when they are open, and if they run out of server-based ideas they should ask you to try recovery mode anyways.

So calling CS is always a better option, but if that is inconvenient you can try recovery mode first.

Talked to CS today and their solution was to apply updates 1 at a time. Skeptical but I tried it and it seemed to work. Had a new map, gpsfix and map share updates and it seemed to work much better. Although I had to leave before the updates finished, it did not take hours.

Ask a Question