Latest software update totally corrupts 940 Live

TomTom Model(s)
Go 940 Live
Hi Folks,

I used to upgrade every time a new model was released, but since I got the 940 I've not been inclined to change it. I've always updated the software immediately an update was available, but I've never updated the maps.

The latest software update (having updated to Home 2 also) totally corrupted the device so that it would not operate at all unless connected to Home...it was the endless looping re-booting to the splash screen. Despite being technically hopeless, thanks to advice on here I managed to wipe it and re-install the original software. I then re-tried the update with a bit of twiddling, but the best I managed was a frozen screen with no map showing. Windows was showing numerous file problems, which I attempted to repair, but no joy.

I've since wiped again, and am now back to the original software, so I do have a functioning device. However, the software is a much older version than I was running previously without a problem.

So, my questions are: does this mean I'll never be able to update the device again? (Given that one can't opt out of the software update)...or is the problem that my maps are too old to be compatible with the new software? Or can I somehow at least update the software to a 'less old' version? Or is it time to simply move on and buy a current unit?

Appreciate any advice....

What version is your map? And when you did install the updates, did you use the Device disconnect icon in Home?

No idea what version the map is...how do I check? And yes, I always disconnect properly...

Tap the right bottom of the status bar. Next screen should show the application installed. Tap the version number and following screen should show the map installed and version.

Righty ho, it's v835.2419

Looking around the web, there are a lot of people with similarly aged units who have had/are having exactly the same issue - too many for it to be coincidental I feel. This suggests that the latest update-thingy is just incompatible with older devices...

Not so...I have a Go940 running on the latest software.

I suspect your original re-booting problem was the old "MapSettings.cfg" issue and one of the fixes often posted here would probably have sorted it.

However, it's also possible that the internal memory of your unit is beginning to fail... that can cause all sorts of odd problems that don't appear in quite the "normal" ways that we are used to.(that's also happened to me).

When you say that Windows was showing numerous file problems, what was actually being reported and what did you do to try to repair them?
(I hope you weren't being misled by the presence of .chk files, which Windows will think are "recovered file fragments" but which are something else entirely on a TomTom!)

Now you have reverted to an earlier version from an old backup, can you say what it is?
And can you remember what version you were on before all this started?
We can usually come up with a manual download link for previous software versions.

But as I said, you SHOULD be able to get the current version working. Try iit again and then if it loops,delete the MapSettings.cfg file from inside the UK/Europe map folder.

I think I might have won actually...I went through all of the suggested fixes again, but this time formatted the unit, and it seems to have accepted the update now. I'm just trying to put back all the bits that disappeared! The voice command thing seems to have been totally decommissioned?

If you needed to format the unit, that MIGHT be an indication that the internal memory is on it's way out. It can die slowly and give all sorts of odd problems over several months.
If you have a spare 4GB SDHC card around, it might be worth copying everything to that and putting it in the TomTom (if it sees an application on the card it will boot from that instead of the internal memory).

Voice command should still be working. Some things to check...

1. Do you have a TTS ("Computer") voice selected for navigation? You need to for voice control to work.

2. Do you have the various cspeech.dat files in the map folder?

3. Do you have an 'asr' folder with about 93 items in it?

4. Do you have a file called 'support_asr.dat' in the asr folder?
It's a simple text file (you can open it in notepad) and it should have just the number "1" in it.
If it's not there you can use Note pad to create it. (just make sure you have Windows set to show ALL file extensions, otherwise you may accidentally name it 'support_asr.dat.txt' but never know...

Ah, daft me - I use Sylvia, hence the lack of the voice thing. Appreciate the advice re the card, I'll do that for sure. I presume I just literally copy and paste everything from one to t'other? I'll keep it as a backup in case the memory is on the way out...

Yes, spot on.
With the card inserted it should use the system files off the card.
Once you're sure it's working (and you have it backed up somewhere else as well!) then it's probably best to delete everything off the internal memory, as sometimes TT Home gets confused if it sees the same thing in two places.

If you needed to format the unit, that MIGHT be an indication that the internal memory is on it's way out. It can die slowly and give all sorts of odd problems over several months.
If you have a spare 4GB SDHC card around, it might be worth copying everything to that and putting it in the TomTom (if it sees an application on the card it will boot from that instead of the internal memory).

Voice command should still be working. Some things to check...

1. Do you have a TTS ("Computer") voice selected for navigation? You need to for voice control to work.

2. Do you have the various cspeech.dat files in the map folder?

3. Do you have an 'asr' folder with about 93 items in it?

4. Do you have a file called 'support_asr.dat' in the asr folder?
It's a simple text file (you can open it in notepad) and it should have just the number "1" in it.
If it's not there you can use Note pad to create it. (just make sure you have Windows set to show ALL file extensions, otherwise you may accidentally name it 'support_asr.dat.txt' but never know...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have GO 630, it is 4 years old, had voice to text navigation which was amazing
6 months ago when I plugged it to the computer, I was prompted to update the firmware.
The Update doesn't have the voice feature at all. disappeared!
Any ideas?

T.

Are you sure you have a computer voice selected? The application update (9.051) did not negatively affect the ability for the user to select a computer voice.

If you have a computer voice selected (Susan, I believe), what happens when you click on 'test' with that voice selected?

Ask a Question