iPhone 4 Not Charging When Cradled in TomTom Kit

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920 T
Hi All-

Since dumping my iPhone 3GS for the new iPhone 4.0, I've come across an interesting issue that I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with. I followed through with placing the velcro piece on the cradle to form a nice snug fit for the iPhone 4 that I've got. So far, so good, right? The issue is that when I set the phone in the cradle, and plug in the cord into my car's electrical socket (cigarette lighter).....the little green light turns on on the charger plug, but my iPhone doesn't recognize the electrical connection and won't charge. I've wiggled the iPhone around a bit where it sits in the cradle, thinking that it's just not sitting in there correctly but...no matter what I do, it still won't take the electrical charge. I can charge the phone with no issues via my USB to my PC, or the USB to my wall plug....just not while it's sitting in the TomTom cradle. Anybody else have this issue and/or know of a solution?

Have you checked the car charger cable is still working?

What happens if you put the iPhone in the cradle and plug the cradle in to the PC via a USB lead or the wall outlet charger, does it charge with this connection when sat in the TomTom cradle - Mike

Same here

I have same problem.

The iphone 4 does not seem to charge via thetom tom kit. All my other cables do charge the phone, just not tomtom.

Very! Irritating :-(

My only guess would be that maybe the velcro (or whatever) that you put on the kit isn't pushing the bottom bracket all the way back when the iphone is inserted. Perhaps you need something thicker?

Just as a further data point, I have the same problem. The device seems to fit into the cradle snugly enough (and I can't push the phone any further down onto the connector), so it doesn't at first blush seem like it's a connection issue? Looking at the connector more closely, however, it looks as if a small piece of plastic may have broken off on the right hand side. Could this be the culprit?

iPhone4 & TomTom

as I read the various posts - it seems that the 3G/GS cradle will not work with the 4... Look at the various ebay notes selling their 3G "stuff"...

Car Kit works!

I have glued a plastic strip 0.1in thick to the top of the connector bracket to ensure reliable connection at all times for the iPhone 4. All functions of the car kit work (charging, speakerphone, audio out and GPS - verified with Car kit tool app). Been using it for six weeks with no trouble!

Retrofit

There are lots of reports that retrofitting the car kit with a piece of velcro or a small / thin self adhesive rubber feet works fine so give it a try! :)

Ask a Question