Interesting Mac vs. TomTom thread

TomTom Model(s)
910 w iPod & Razr connections
Macintouch.com, a site for news of Macintosh programs, the company, complaints and problems, has a long-running thread on Mac marginalization, calling attention to manufacturers, sites and applications that don't play nice with Mac and those that do.
There's a sub-thread on GPS and TomTom running for the last few days, including TomTom's failure to add Mac control of the GPS. It appears that at least one user has succeeded, using Home ver. 2.5.2.58) on the latest OS 10 to a TomTom One 3rd Edition. Guess I'd better try it again.

On a 2.2ghz MacBookPro with OS10.5.6, I'm using TT Home v. 2.5.2.8 with a TT910.

When I try to "Operate my GO," the response from Home is, "This function is not yet supported for your navigation device or operating system."

If you're able to operate your TomTom from your Mac, I'd be interested to know your Mac OS, Home version and TT model.

AFAIK the "Operate My GO" function stopped working with 8.3 (it worked fine with 8.01). But not sure why it matters...I am able to do anything I want to with the TT connected to my mac (mac pro 2 X 2.8ghz, 10.5.6 or macbook 2.2ghz, 10.5.6) Home v2.5.2.58. Is there something you are having difficulty with?

I have been able to update my TT, back-up my TT (using home or finder) add third party aps (height, tomplayer, screenshot), add music copied from itunes, customize start-up and shutdown screens, sync with blackberry via bluetooth, download address book (and customize), add trapster sites, etc.;)....all with the help of the great folks on this site!

Last edited:
It appears the TT910 is stuck at V7.903. TomTom must have added the "Operate my GO" functionality to later versions for newer models.
In practical terms, it makes no difference to me. As you point out, everything that needs to be done between computer and TT can be done.
I do have Home running in the WindowsXP side of the Mac, and the time I checked out the "Operate" function there, I didn't think much of it. It would be useful if, say, I could print out a route prepared by the 910.
Did that functionality get added with v.8?
The main irritation was that TomTom for many months didn't appear to take its Mac customers and its Mac app very seriously -- the kind of behavior that makes "Mac marginality" a popular read over at Macintouch.

The main irritation was that TomTom for many months didn't appear to take its Mac customers and its Mac app very seriously -- the kind of behavior that makes "Mac marginality" a popular read over at Macintouch.

Oh OK...yeah being a mac user since 1984 I am so used to issues with software support (or lack there of)....since the intel processor, mac is just superior in every way.:D

Operate My GO

Statman, you say the "Operate My GO" function stopped working with 8.3 (it worked fine with 8.01). But not sure why it matters...I am able to do anything I want to with the TT connected to my mac (mac pro 2 X 2.8ghz, 10.5.6 or macbook 2.2ghz, 10.5.6) Home v2.5.2.58. Is there something you are having difficulty with?

Without "Operate My GO," I don't see an easy way to download Google map locations, or enter a security code (I finally had a friend with a Windows machine download HOME and then I could enter a security code. There is now version 8.301 for the GO 730, and that may have added this option directly on the GO, or having done the security code on Windows allowed it, because it's there now.), or plan an itinerary using the computer.

I've followed the posts on Macintouch.com. I'd be very interested if someone is actually able to get "Operate My GO" working on the Mac.

I have GO 730 software v8.301, HOME v2.5.2.58, Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Operate My GO is a NO GO

Without "Operate My GO," I don't see an easy way to download Google map locations...

DITTO

I can't get the same thing. I called Tech and they say it's a bug in the emulator
and that some systems can't run it, and the way it works is google maps sends to emulator first, then emulator to the GO, so at least for transferring maps from google, it's essential. They claim a new HOME is going to be released any day, but... let's see....

I'm on a MacBookPro 15" unibody 10.5.6, and my 930T has the latest firmware

How did you get it to work? My operate my one still does not work for me. I'm getting an error (Error calling method on NPObject!) when I try to use that feature.

I just clicked on "Operate My Go"...there was a download of something (presumably software patch) and that was it. Perhaps it still does not work with a one?:confused:

HOME now works on the Mac

Today when I connected my GO 730 to my Mac, I tried "Operate My Go" and for the first time, I did not get an error message. Instead it said I needed to "download a needed file." After the download, "Operate My Go" seems to work just fine! :)

Ask a Question