I did something really stupid!

I have a 740 Live. While the device was connected to my computer, I accidentally (don't ask) deleted every file on the device, or at least I think I did.
When I "look" at the device via the computer it shows that it contains zero files.
I went to TomTom Home and the device connected to the computer. I went to Update, but when I attempted to download the system and map files to the device, it said I did not have sufficient memory on the device.
I went to Manage My Go. It shows that there are 1385 MB of "installed items" and only 570 MB of "free space" on the device. I went to the My Device tab to delete what may be there, but it states that there are "No Items" on the device.
So, what is the phantom data on my device that is taking up so much space that I can't reinstall? Can an owner reinstall everything? Have I killed it?
Thanks.

If you run a checkdisk scan on the 740 drive, you'll probably find it's populated with unreadable files. A format will take care of that. You did do a backup, correct?

Thanks, Gatorguy.
Yes, I do have a backup.
I'm familiar with reformatting a drive using Windows: My Computer, Choose Drive, Format. Is that the same process for formatting this device would you think?

I'm sure that's what Gator meant. Don't use quickformat and make doubly sure your backup does have the map folder included along with the contents........

Formatted device--took about 2 seconds.
Manage My Go showed no files!
I Updated the device--took about 30 minutes, incluiing the NA Map.
So far as I can tell, is working fine, but will test on drive home tonight.

Once again, many, many thanks for volunteering your time and effort to make the Forum so useful.

Ask a Question