hello ( and a mini-rant )

Hi

{new user - forgive me if this is a rant, but I'm a bit ticked off }

I just purchased a new XXL 550T to replace my old Tomtom whose screen went haywire and died. Fine. The new one works perfectly - my problem is that I'm just trying to BUY John Cleese's celebrity voice since I'm not satisfied with the ones which ship with the unit.

Off to the TomTom web site sez I - big mistake. Apparently it is almost impossible to even create a new account -

When creating an account, even though you select Canada as the country code, you only get US states available from the state dropdown. So you can't create an account.

You can get a proper dropdown list by going through the myTomTom link, but it wont let you save anything. This is on Sunday night .... Maintenance?

OK - I'm using Safari on a Mac - is this the problem?

In short, the TomTom website doesnt seem to be designed in a very professional manner - I need to be able to create an account in order to download and PAY for a new voice. Anyone seen this silliness before?

Oh, btw - I'm Steve, and I do love TomTom GPS units - we've drive across Canada 3 times with "John Cleese" as our guide and it's worked flawlessly. I'm just frustrated with the TomTom website.

Anywhere I can turn to for assistance? I just need to buy a celebrity voice, for pete's sake!

btw We purchased a different model yesterday which worked fine for 30 mins or so and was then DOA - couldnt find a GPS signal after that, so we exchanged it for the 550T

I agree the TT site is not user friendly at the best of times.

Perhaps call CS at 866-486-6866 and see if they can talk you through the steps while you are online.

(oh, and if they say they don't sell stuff to Canadians, ask for a supervisor).

Voices

Hi

Yes I certainly hope they do sell to Canadian especially since my wife purchased the very same voice two years ago :)

Steve

Problem solved without having to re-order

Wife found that her old support email was still active - she just re-registered the new TomTom to that account and could move the voice over. Works great - welcome back John!

I just love his little 'Turn right in 800meters' diatribe about "That little bas*ard Napoleon forcing us to say 800meters instead of a half-mile" :)

Steve

Ask a Question