Go720 Stuck at splash screen.

TomTom Model(s)
Go720 + Go2535TM
Hello,

I purchased a new TomTom and so I wanted to bring it back to factory defaults. I did so successfully. Once my new GPS was up and running I found that I could transfer my favorites via a program. I copied the files I had backed up before the factory defaults, back to the 720. It then came up with "no maps." I manually extracted the maps to the unit in the correct folders. I then power cycled the GPS and now it boots up and shows the splash screen but just sits there. I let it sit there for 2 hours and still nothing. I used a paperclip and held the rest down for 10 seconds and tried turning it on again. Same problem. I then tried holding the power button down for a long time and got a black text screen with a bunch of info on the unit. The computer does not recognize the GPS in either the text screen or the splash screen that hangs. Im hoping that someone here can assist. I hope its not dead. I know that the correct files are on the GPS but I cant get it past the splash screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

okay, initially try this ......

Connect to Home and use the emulator (Operate my Go) to plan a trip. When it's complete, disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon on Home's screen. Restart the 720 and see if it boots properly.

okay, initially try this ......

Connect to Home and use the emulator (Operate my Go) to plan a trip. When it's complete, disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon on Home's screen. Restart the 720 and see if it boots properly.

The computer (device manager) and TomTom Home do not recognize the GPS either at the black text screen or when its stuck at the splash screen.

The black screen is the diagnostic screen.

Can you try the usual suspects:
1. A different computer
2. A different usb port, particularly one on the back of the cpu
3. A different cable.

Without the computer recognizing the gps, options are limited, to say the least...........

720 Screen Frozen

Apologies for jumping in on this thread but I have an identical problem. My 720 is frozen on the start screen and won't progress any further through the start up. In addition you cannot then turn it off with the on/off switch.
Using the reset button turns the unit off but does not resolve the problem.
I can still connect to the computer - and have followed the advice in this thread but still no luck.
Further top tips most welcome

If you can connect to the computer, make an Explorer, not Home, backup. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then, when SURE the backup is on your computer, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and install the application offered (it should be 8.351). Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Any better?

Hmm.. not really. Still the same only having restarted the satnav the computer does not now recognise it.

Terminal?

Still nothing, although the satnav screen is now showing a graphic with the SD card coming out of the bottom and and being crossed through with a red cross

I've given up. I'll just sell on ebay for parts. So instead of getting $70 for a working 720 i'll have to sell it for $30 for parts instead.

Unfortunate that there is no way to connect it to a computer when its stuck like that. They should have built in a way to connect to the comptuer when its at that black text screen with all the device info that you can get to by holding the power button for 30 seconds.

Thanks anyway. I appreciate the responses.

Ask a Question