GO720 Blackberry-8700 (AT&T) Traffic-Data Frustrations

So, I've pretty much trawled through all the posts on how to get my 8700 to connect to the TomTom Traffic Server without success.

I have:

Model: BlackBerry 8700
O/S: v4.2.1.96 (Platform 2.3.0.79)
N/w: AT&T Wireless (Edge)
TCP Settings: APN: wap.cingular
Username: (e-mail address removed)
Password: CINGULAR1
Firewall: Enabled (can't seem to turn it off)
Hands-Free: Works OK
Browsing: Can browse the internet OK

Like everyone else, it seems to get 65% through and then throws up its hands and fails. When prompted for Manual settings, I enter:

Device: Blackberry 8100 (the closest)
Provider: AT&T Wireless
APN: wap.cingular (replacing "proxy)
Username: (e-mail address removed)
Password: CINGULAR1
DHCP/DNS: Automatic for both
Dial: *99#
LoginScript: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

Then it sits and thinks again and fails yet again.

It's a company phone, so I don't want to mess with it too much (such as changing any default mail server/address settings). Likewise, I can't go subscribing to any additional (i.e. chargable) services.

Any suggestions?

I keep toughting that the os 4.5 would solve the problem...but I am running the beta on my 8800 and still does not work..so not sure now

I got a feeling that it has something to do with the data service plan. AT&T has two types of "unlimited" BB data service. I guess you need to have the tethering data service for it to work.
I have a company issued BB8310 with the regular unlimited data service and I will try mine tonight.

If your company device is on a company Enterprise server, then your IT group may have to make a setting change to allow the connection.

I have a blackberry 8700 with BES & no luck.

my service is also at%t cingular.

HAs anyone got tomtom to work with blackberry 8700?

I have a BB8830 through Verizon and to get the data services to work (traffic, weather, etc.) I had to have the tethering feature enabled on on my wireless account. This allows the phone to act as a modem. It's an additional fee per month above the data plan. (Not sure sure how much it is since my company pays for the service, but it think it's like $10 or $15/month) Before it was enabled, I was going through the same issues you have listed. AT&T probably has a the same service "upgrade".

Hope this information helps.

I have a BB8830 through Verizon and to get the data services to work (traffic, weather, etc.) I had to have the tethering feature enabled on on my wireless account. This allows the phone to act as a modem. It's an additional fee per month above the data plan. (Not sure sure how much it is since my company pays for the service, but it think it's like $10 or $15/month) Before it was enabled, I was going through the same issues you have listed. AT&T probably has a the same service "upgrade".

Hope this information helps.

Thanks. I sort of gave up on the whole episode as nobody inside my company (that I can find) seems to know what kind of data plan we're on, or perhaps they just can't be bothered looking up the details :).

Ask a Question