Free DYI TT One mount (semi-permanant)

TomTom Model(s)
TT One "NEW" EDITION v7.162 map7.15
The winshield mount in a 2004 Focus puts the TT too far away for easy operation when mounted low on the windshield. Also, the mount dropped off the first day after two hours of driving. Dirty winshield? maybe. But I started thinking about a better mount. This is a cheap engineer's solution to the challenge.

Wheel_Cropped.JPG

Dash_small.JPG

Dash_Side_Small.JPG

I used a steel Shirt Hanger for the wire, copper would be too soft. The most critical dimension is that of the "U" that the TT slides into. It may take a few trys to get that right. I find it better to make it just a little wide then sqeeze the top together to grab the TT.

One point to observe in the wire cannot exit the back of the TT perpendicular, it needs to be about 45 degrees.

Back_Corrected_Small.JPG

Bottom_Small.JPG

After you get the "U" to fit the TT, you are on your own to fit the car. In my case, I have two "ears" that slip between trim peices that I loosened screws to insert, then tightened to hold.

WARNING: Do not try bending the wire by using the TT. The TT plastic is soft and will break away if stressed to hard. Remove the TT for adjustment and use pliers/vice grips.

The mount has been working great for a month now and the TT easily slips in and out for TT's "AntiTheft".feature.

Last edited:
Neat trick!

Very clever solution! I've been contemplating how best to mount my ONE v3 & that may very well do the trick......

I want to try to mount it around the drivers side windshield pillar in my Honda Element since I can run the wires right up through the side panel pretty cleanly & this mount may just work great wedged between the panels. Even if it doesn't, at least it did cost me anything but time - thanks for the idea from another engineer who hadn't put the brain power to it yet!

Check out my post on my 2004 solution for my 720. I would have preferred mine up high like your, but the hardest part for me was finding the screw to replace the factory screw. I had to shorten my "new" screw down a touch.

Mitch

Ask a Question