Fast Food POIs

I found that when you download too many custom POI catergories, that some dont show up. And since its way too many and i want them all heres what i did. Stock POIs cannot be modified due to the encrytped files by TomTom so i added all the Fast Food pois into one POI so that you may search that way. It is mostly nationwide with some local restaurants included. If it works out well for me and anyone that downlaods ill make more for Gas Stattions, Sit In Restaurants, Etc. Please provide feedback and let me know how you like it.

P.S. Has approx 20,000+ entires
(Taco Bell, Checkers, Wendys, Mcdonalds, Burger King, Subway, Dairy Queen, Carls Jr, Hardees, Jack in the Box, Del Taco, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, KFC, Popeyes, Panda Express, White Castle, Wienerschnitzel and one Zaca Taco)

Attachments

• Fast Food.zip
    486.2 KB · Views: 916
Last edited:
I prefer to be able to see a different icon for each brand. I would rarely want to go to just any fast food place. My stomach always has something particular in mind.

I would too but this is more for the people who want to find out whats nearby to go to without searching through all the restaurants since on the new 720 units you only can get the 24 closest results. This doesnt erase the stock POIs that come with the unit just separates some for searching.

Thanks. For food, I prefer them individually cuzz I'd hate to be hubgry, only to be directed to Der Weinershnitzel....lol

But it would be cool to join them for Gas Stations and Hotel/Motels

I would too but this is more for the people who want to find out whats nearby to go to without searching through all the restaurants since on the new 720 units you only can get the 24 closest results. This doesnt erase the stock POIs that come with the unit just separates some for searching.

I ran into the same issue of only being able to see the 24 closest POI's. I had actually seen this problem in a model in Circuit City. After that, I had talked to TOMTOM Customer Support in USA, and the Customer Rep
assured me that he was able to see more than 24, and he thought that the
problem might have been with the store model.

I ordered the GO 720 over the weekend. I just received it yesterday, and it also shows a maximum of 24 POIs. I updated my application
to 7.02 thinking that it would solve it, but it is the same.

I was wondering if this is a bug that will be fixed in a future release, or was it designed to be that way?

POI Searching

The older units before the GO720 and One 3rd Edition will search for more than 24 of the closest POIs. It is not a flaw but it is designed that way now. Tech support probably had an older unit. When searching through the Fast Food POIS i created you still will be able to see the names of the restaurants and most with phone numbers also.

I actually like this idea. I was a little disappointed w/ the POIs in the TomTom after using a Garmin. Garmin separates the restaurants in to types of food and has a sub category for fast food. Unlike TomTom which mixes it altogether. When I'm on the road I am most interested in the quick fast food places. So to have a compiled list of fast food places closest to my location will come in handy.

Having a compiled POI for gas stations would be very helpful as well. Thanks for the Fast Food POIs. :)

I noticed that my TomTom One 3rd Edition freezes up if I have too many POI categories. What is the limit before it freezes up? I'd like to have as many as I can.

POI Catergories

Ive seen that on the Garmin models as well but it actually can be a hinderance. When you do that the POI Numbers are severely affected. When a place like McDonalds is listed under America, Fast Food, and Sit In restaurant types each Mickey D's counts as 3 POIs which means the 6Million POIs is really only around 2Million Unique POIs which limits the variety before freezing up the Garmin models and the amount of Actual POIs it has. Listing it like this allows me to choose what duplicates i have and using the memory card i can load up all my POIs to my memory card(up to at least 2gb) for all my POIs so that it doesnt slow up my unit. Your unit is probably freezing because you have started to use the Operating System memory as storage. Just get a memeory card and load everything to it and enjoy. Hope that helps

Your unit is probably freezing because you have started to use the Operating System memory as storage. Just get a memeory card and load everything to it and enjoy. Hope that helps

Unfortunately since I have the TomTom One 3rd edition I can't get a memory card for it. It doesn't have a SD slot. Only 1GB of built-in memory.

The US & Canada map that comes w/ it takes up most of the space. Not too much space is left. Only about 20MB of space is left. It looks like the POIs don't take up that much space. I just delete the voices I won't use. I guess I'll just add POIs that I really need while traveling.

I wish there was a way to remove the Canada map from the memory and just have the US only. That would save some space. Not like I really need the Canada maps all the time. I've only been there once and I don't have plans to go there too often. I can remove Guam, but thats hardly any space at all so there is no point in removing that.

Anyway, I'm starting to like the unit. This site has really helped me to like it more. The only other GPS unit I've used was a Garmin StreetPilot i5 (now discontinued), but there were some stuff it had that TomTom doesn't seem to have, or atleast my TomTom One doesn't have.

I liked how Garmin had the distance of the POIs in real-time. So you know if you are getting closer or further from them. The sub categories for restaurants was nice too. Hopefully with future updates of the TomTom units they'll add these features. Also, I noticed that the preinstalled POIs of the TomTom have the first letter of the POI in uppercase and the rest are in all lowercase. I'm sort of nitpicking, but it kind of bugged me. :)

I was debating wheter to buy Garmin Nuvi 200 or TomTom One LE, but ended up getting a TomTom One 3rd as a Christmas gift. :)

Anyway...thanks for the POIs.

Last edited:

Ask a Question