Error during update

My TT Go 730 has decided that it will not finish an update. I get the following error
The file is invalid (archive file) C\docs & Settings\Bob\mydocs\TomTom\home\downloads\complete\safety cameras\speed_cameras_frame-14\radar_fr_TomTom.cab.

If I ask it not to download the french cmare update it just chooses another e.g. Belgium.

It was fine yesterday, and I have used the unit today and its working fine - it just wont finish an update. I have the maps on an 8G SDHC

Try renaming the 'downloads' folder in your path to 'downloadsOLD'

This should cause a new download of the safety camera compressed (.cab) files. It appears the existing ones are corrupt for some reason.

Also maake sure your connection is NOT via a wireless connection but, rather, a directly connected (to modem/ruter) computer.

Thanks for the rapid answer, I renamed the folder as suggested and tried again, same thing happened. When I go back to check the download folder name it is still with the OLD added but a new download folder has been created ?

That's what should have happened.

Can you try to manually add the contents of the safety camera .cab file to your unit?

Use WinRar and extract the contents to the specific map folder on your unit.

OK Done that (I think) done another update and it downloads all the updates but gives the same error as soon as it tries to install to the memory card.

Well now it is a mess as the speed camera files on the memory card say 0kb, so they obviously have no data in them ?

I think all the country .ov2 files go into the map folder. Don't believe there is a safety_camera folder in the map folder.

What is the size of each ov2 file if you look at the contents of the cab file?

I think all the country .ov2 files go into the map folder. Don't believe there is a safety_camera folder in the map folder.
That's how it's working here. Each 'location' has its own set of 3 files: *.ov2, *.ov2.dct, *.ov2.ver. All wind up directly in the associated map folder - no subfolder.

Ah - and the POI folder in the root also contains a descriptive file of the same root name with *.tlv.

Last edited:
I have just done a recover from a explorer back up of all the files onto the memory card.
I seem to have all the speed camera files on both the decice memory and the memory crad - is this right (not sure how that occured ?
Still have the same error however and I cannot finish the update !

If I look in the folder that is now downloadOLD (was download) I have up to 38 versions of each country camera files ? named like
Safety_Cameras_DE_TomTom-13.

In the download folder created today (automatically by TomTom Home) I just have the list of various countries

It appears that the error is on the C drive somewhere and not the device ? How can I start again with the TomTom files on the C drive ?
I am lost !

It appears that the error is on the C drive somewhere and not the device ? How can I start again with the TomTom files on the C drive ?
I am lost !
Entirely possible. Home evaluates issues with files on your PC, not just the TT. Please look here

c:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete

If you see a folder there called "safetycamera", go ahead and delete it.

Also check here

c:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\temp

Make sure nothing is found there that might be a remnant of another download.

Ok, Done that but I still get the same error message and it wont finish the updates. Still looks like a problem on the C drive not the unit ?!

What else can I try ?

Looks like time for a Garmin ! TomTom updates have always been rubbish - great device rubbish software !

I'm also getting this error and a poster in another forum is getting it as well.

I'm convinced it is the fault of the tomtom servers offering up a crappy safety camera file.

Simply uncheck the safety camera offering in Update my Computer and proceed with the dl of mapshares and gpsquickfix files (if offered).

It is NOT anything you are doing on your end or are NOT doing that you should be doing.

Thanks, that is good (but bad) to know - I have already done the update without the cameras OK, will try again in a day or so and see what occurs.

Same problem as strutob

I have a GO 630 and exactly the same thing suddenly happened when I tried to update. "This file is invalid(archive file) C://documents and settings/wayne etc. etc. It starts to load the updates and when it hits the memory card line it freezes, writing turns red and a ton of errors are displayed. Strange for 2 different people to get the exact symptoms!

16.50 GMT, All seems to be back to normal, done a update and all seems to have worked.

Come on TomTom own up to sending us UTTER RUBBISH !

:confused: I've learned over the years to give it a day or two and then try again. Give it a chance to see if it is a device problem or a problem from the provider.
If you don't wait you will will be banging your head against the wall doing changes on your TT unit and nothing is wrong with it except a (in this case a download problem.)

Ask a Question