"error during planning" message

Tomtom One US/Canada maps- updated firmware- any time I try to calculate a route, I get an "error during planning" message. It can be an address, a POI, a favorite, etc. Still get the same message. The only exception is if the destination is nearby, it seems to calculate OK- no help from TOMTOM support, any ideas or thoughts would be great-

Try a pin reset and see if the same error occurs.

also what firmware and map versions do you have?

Last edited:
First I apologize for hijacking this post but I thought it might be appropriated as it is concerning route planning & TT One's

With TT One do you have the option to load an itinerary file?

My reason for asking this is that I was trying to set up routs with Tyre for a friend with a TT one

I could copy the route to the One ITN folder but couldn’t get it to load as an option.

Tomtom One US/Canada maps- updated firmware- any time I try to calculate a route, I get an "error during planning" message. It can be an address, a POI, a favorite, etc. Still get the same message. The only exception is if the destination is nearby, it seems to calculate OK- no help from TOMTOM support, any ideas or thoughts would be great-

I'm getting the same error message with the One 3rd Edition. The GPS only seems to work if I'm close to the address. I thought initially that it was due to no satelites, but that's not the case. While plugged into Home via the computer it does the same thing. I do not have an initiary option installed that I know of. Could this be due to me only have used the device a few times? I searched the TomTom support page and tried an error fix by restoring defaults, but this didn't solve the problem. Is there a problem with the U.S. & Canada Map? Would appreciate any input, think I've researched it as far as I can though.

Have you tried a reset for your unit (hold the power on button for about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds)?

Perhaps, the Clear Flash tool may help. Download it from here

Do you have a backup prior to its doing this? If so, can you restore.

Are your settings for planning preferences perhaps making it impossible to plan? Such as selecting to avoid toll roads when no other possibility exists? (though that usually results in a 'no route found' message)

Anyway, things to consider ...

Have you tried a reset for your unit (hold the power on button for about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds)?

Perhaps, the Clear Flash tool may help. Download it from here

Do you have a backup prior to its doing this? If so, can you restore.

Are your settings for planning preferences perhaps making it impossible to plan? Such as selecting to avoid toll roads when no other possibility exists? (though that usually results in a 'no route found' message)

Anyway, things to consider ...

I've tried reset, I've got a backup, I've already installed the ClearFlash although, it only seems to be working on occasion (Weird). I've recently had to reformat the drive, and this is the first time this type of message has appeared. I was without the service of the TomTom for months, which could also be the case, according to some of what I've read on the site.

Last edited:
Trip Logging Disabled

Does anyone know anything about recieving the message: "Trip logging Disabled" ? This message is then followed by the "error during planning".

Route planning "greyed"

Under the Add Voices/Maps Etc. the Routes option is greyed out. Says it is not a usable feature. I think this is the cause of my problem, but not sure how it can be fixed. I'm still working on solutions.....

Routes are Itineraries and certain TT models are not capable of creating an Itinerary (or downloading one).

Update: Response is map problem download.

The error during planning signifies a corrupt map download. We will need to delete the map, and download it again. To delete the map, please click on remove items from my device, and select the map. We will need to click yes to the warning.

Once the map is deleted, we will need to download and install this again. We offer step by step instructions on our website that will guide you through downloading and installing the map. Please click on the link below to view the information. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser.

http://www.tomtom.com/6930
So, now I'm currently looking to find out how to download the map again, and I think I have to do it through HOME after I delete my backup map (saved it to explorer backup just in case) I'll surely be able to hit update my device and the map download should come from the site.

Last edited:
Problem Solved

After all this searching, this fixed the problem. Apparently I simply had a corrupt Map download!

Ask a Question