Dead GO1000

TomTom Model(s)
Go1000
I bought a TomTom GO1000 from a local Dick Smith (Australia) store about 18 months ago and it has been working perfectly until a fortnight ago when it started to display a 'waiting for valid GPS signal' message. I took it back to them and they suggested that I do a web-based software update which I subsequently did a couple of days ago. Now it gives me a 'No maps loaded' message :(

I've done several reset/reboots to no avail. The TT website tells me that the device is working and Dick Smith aren't interested as they do not service them, just sell them.

What am I doing wrong ?

Regards,
Chris

PS: Sorry to make my first post a complaint.

What is the application you have on your unit now?

Try clearing the cache, resetting the unit (by holding the power button about 10 seconds or so till you hear the drum sounds) and reconnecting the unit. See if there is any activity (downloading to your unit) taking place then.

I've done that - the reset on these takes about 30 seconds. Once reset and reconnected I'm told that it is functioning normally ......

Frustrating, to say the least.

Chris

And your application on the unit is??

Think you'll need to call CS at 1300 135 604. They can add back a map to your account to download (2nd level can, anyway).

One of the icons on your unit is Information-->Me and my device. Click the leftmost icon to see the map and application installed

When I turn it on I get the flash screen then immediately a grey screen with the 'no maps' error message and that's it - it will not boot beyond that point. If I reset it, it does precisely the same thing.

When I go on the net and log in to my account it tells me that all is well and doesn't give me any other alternatives.

When I use the PC based software, I get the usual suite of alternatives (clear cache etc.) that aren't all that helpful in this case.

My wife uses this TomTom as my car is equipped with Sat Nav. At the moment she is either using her phone or the tablet with Google Maps.

I guess my alternatives are -

Phone customer support and see if they can help - though I'm only willing to spend 30 minutes in a queue waiting for a human to answer

Lease a new car equipped with Sat Nav - my wife would like that and it is very likely to happen in about 6 months

Throw this one away and either get a Garmin or persist with Google Maps - I'm sorely tempted and if I get no help with the folk at CS, it'll be in the bin this afternoon.

Thanks for your help anyway. I'll keep plugging away at it for a little while longer,
Chris

In its present state, you probably will need to have CS straighten this out, but you can get your firmware version (and map) information for us by a means that does not require a fully bootable unit.

Connect your unit to your PC, and then please see if you can go to the following URL on your unit:
http://169.254.255.1/mpnd/settings

This should produce a lot of text which you can copy and paste to a text file. Let us know if you are successful with that.

Because of work commitments, it's taken me a little while to sort this out.
The guys at CS were very helpful and between the original no-GPS problem and a corrupt upgrade (? dirty magnetic connector) my TomTom is now working again perfectly. The wife is very happy but still wants a new car ....
Thanks for all of your help and apologies for my obvious ignorance.
I'll now go back to lurker mode,
Chris

Ask a Question