Cracked Screen

TomTom Model(s)
920T
Just arrived in Europe after a transatlantic flight to find the 920 screen, or at least the protective overlay cracked. The unit still works,but the touch overlay is very iffy and wont allow me to use any key in the bottom left corner. Has anyone replaced a screen on the 920, is it a DIY job, or back to TomTom? Any idea of the cost?

Maybe a 930 is on the horizon?

ex-egll

Dumb as it may seem the, the bottom left corner has no damage to it at all. The area that is damaged (cracked) actually has some touch capability:confused:

With out access to the "done" button I am done! Even more annoying I thoght of bringing the remote, but then said to myself "why would I ever need a remote" Now I know:mad:

So do I replace the 720 with a 730, what does the 730 do that the 720 doesn't?

ex-egll

The 730 originally came with the version 8 firmware and version 8 map that showed ALG (Advance Lane guidance) and IQ routing, things that n7 firmware and v7 maps couldn't show.

BUT................

Now, 720 owners have access to both N8.010 firmware and v8 maps (for purchase), so thay can essentially turn their 720's into 730 machines.

Otherwise, no difference.

Why don't you call TomTom support and see what a repair/replacement (refurb) would run you first ?

Contacted TomTom re repairing the 920. Seems they are not in the business of repairing. All they would offer was $100 off a new unit. I think I can get the same price from a store. My fault, so I can't get too upset:(

From what I have read, there is absolutely NO difference between the 920 and the 930 other than colour? Which begs the difference (other than a marketing ploy) why come out with the 930?

I was hoping at least the FM transmitter may be improved.

ex-egll

well, the 930 had the new maps, the iq routes, and the advanced lane guidance, which you can now get for the 920 through some updates through tomtom.

in addition, the 930 is black and has enhanced positioning technology (navigation in tunnels and places where it was hard to get signals before), and some other stuff. anyone got any other differences?

Ask a Question