Christmas is coming

I am new to this Forum
I am a Brit who wishes to purchase a GPS as a combined Christmas gift for my son and his wife who live in the US. I intend to purchase a TomTom in the US when I arrive in early December. But need a little help.

I have only experince of the Jaguar GPS system in my car and thus know little of other systems.

My son is very "with it" technically and also likes the latest toys, but my daughter in law struggles with technology.
I wonder if there is a TomTom that might satify them both? Or is my only option to buy two differnt models. (the ? is weak against the $ right now! :( )

Any comments welcomed

I think if you stick with one of the TTS (Text To Speech) units you will:

1. Suffice the son.
2. Appease the Daughter in Law.

The units basically all have the same user interface. It's pretty simple when it needs to be (basic navigation by the DIL) and offers techie things for your son.

The reason I say go with TTS is I fall into the same category with my wife. She just wants something to tell her where to go and how to get there (who cares what else it will do). With the TTS, the road names are called out and it's much easier for her to navigate that way then to try to decide what road it is that is "in 500 feet".

Personally I say buy the best model you can afford, and maybe go with a widescreen (if they have trouble seeing small things).

I started on a GO700 and have since owned a Rider 1, Rider 2, and a OneLE. Over the time that I've had them the UI is basically the same, so once you get used to it you can use any of the models (upgrading becomes easier).

If you're from the UK and he is here, you might want to consider one of the units that offers both US and UK maps pre-installed (for when he comes home).

Lastly, I'd say look for one that offers an SD card slot.

In addition to what Thom has said, you'd want to know their travelling habits. By that, I mean is there any chance they'd go to Europe and want to take the unit with them? (If so, a 930 has both maps, a 730 only has North America). Also, do they need bells and whistles like a built in mp3 player and bluetooth? The less they need, the less is required and the smaller cost.

Here is a resonable comparison chart for North American models of TomTom:
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_comparisons/tomtom-comparison-chart.html

Also, just because the number of a model may coincide with the European numbering of a model, it doesn't mean the feature set for the 2 are precisely the same.

Thanks so much for the help guys. It was just what i needed
Additionally, a GO 930 is about GBP 320.00.
Whichever you select, go to their web page and print out the page with the price.
Now, whether you order through the web or buy in person you should not pay a higher price than that. If lucky, less.
I suggest Best Buys (they wanted $ 25.00 more in their store, but matched the price) as you can be reasonably sure that you get new, for the US, merchandise and they have an excellent return policy.
Even if you buy with a credit card, use your son's name and address as the buyer. It will make it easier in case of warranty claims.
Also ask for a duplicate store receipt so you can leave a copy with your son.
To exercise TomTom's 30 day after purchase newest map guarantee they will require Proof-of-Purchase, a faxed or scanned copy of the store receipt.
Good luck, enjoy your trip.

Ask a Question