Canadia heres I comes

hi guy's,

ok, Have confirmed my visa has been granted and this guy is now planning on coming over to canadia.

pending sale of house...

one thing I am toying with is bring the cab over.

Now from what I have found put that age of car (91/ reg. in 90) that I only need a safety in check when it lands

now obvous things I can think of

1> Speedo is dual kms/mph (though might see if I can source a KMP one)
2> headligh units I will need to source ones for LHD

Anything else?

3>I dont have side markers, although, thoes are piss easy

we have ovber here

1> Annual ROAD TAX
2> Insurance
3> MOT (every year, road worthiness)

what is the equivalent in Canada ?

am I likly to be really hit by insurance?
as RHD in LH country,
am I better to get say a boxster? or 968cab
although the prices for thoes seems quite high

NOT sure what I can get for her on sale

ideas pls

thanks

Wow! You really do take the term 'off topic' seriously! :D

It would help if you gave some indication of the Province you wished to reside in. I can't give much information at all but you the Department of Transport homepage for Ontario can be found here.

You may want to go here:
Find Canada?s Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes - Insurance Hotline to compare insurance rates by insurer in Ontario.

Other questions may be answered by the Canadian Embassy in the UK or online.

Good hunting!

Transport Canada had a list of vehicles that did not qualify for importation because of the 5 mph bumper rule.
That applied even for an immigrant who owned the vehicle 6 months prior to coming to Canada.
There also used to be an exemption for classic cars which was for 20 years and older models which may be OK for your 1990 registered vehicle.

Make a Google search on Transport Canada or try this and go from there.

Hey DHN ! :)

sorry, am so excited that I'm immigrating to be with da missus,
and sorry, that was Mississauga, so Toronto!

Got some info on the RIV and stuff, my heads gonna explode,

I understand my car is exempt (19 years old) from RIV program but may be in for a shock with import duties and stuff

cheers m8y

Wow! You really do take the term 'off topic' seriously! :D

It would help if you gave some indication of the Province you wished to reside in. I can't give much information at all but you the Department of Transport homepage for Ontario can be found here.

You may want to go here:
Find Canada?s Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes - Insurance Hotline to compare insurance rates by insurer in Ontario.

Other questions may be answered by the Canadian Embassy in the UK or online.

Good hunting!

Hi Arno,

got that link, 19 years old so am exempt,
cheers for the insurance link!

that may also effect things

Transport Canada had a list of vehicles that did not qualify for importation because of the 5 mph bumper rule.
That applied even for an immigrant who owned the vehicle 6 months prior to coming to Canada.
There also used to be an exemption for classic cars which was for 20 years and older models which may be OK for your 1990 registered vehicle.

Make a Google search on Transport Canada or try this and go from there.

I might have missed something as I am not sure where you are moving from. I am planning on buying a new Toyota Siana ( 2011 ) ( production to start in Jan 2010) . this winter in the USA and one of the things you need to do if importing from USA is you need to have all the papers sent to the US customs 72 hours before leaving the US. Another thing is you may require a leter from the manafacture stating that it meets canadian safty standerds.

I needed that letter a couple of years ago when I brought a 16 year old boat traler over.

As far as duty goes it may be different from where you are comming from but from the USA there is No duty just the GST and then you pay the PST when you get your tags in the provence where you regester. If the vieachel is less that 15 years old there is an aditional $225.00 import fee

hey Gar,

car is being exported from Europe (UK)

19 years old (Porsche 944 s2 cab)

going over as part of immigration so have been told all it needs is a safety check at Canadian Tyre
should be tax exempt , I have to decalre these things but not sure abotu some of de paperwork

although I am kinda leaning on selling in UK and buying something newer there

It might be better if you were to sell first and buy over here. ( there are some good incentives on right now )
The one thing that I can think off that could be an issue is you more than likely have you sterling wheel on the right and ours is on the left.
I am sure you are aware we drive on the opposite side of the road than you do in the UK, therefour all pay tolls, parking, booths etc etc . will be on the opposite side of you car when you pull up to them.

Ask a Question