Building POI File without ripping my hair out. Ops too late.

Hi all,
I am trying to build a POI file of all the RV Campgrounds in Branson, MO. US.

I have Tyre and POIedit, but nether seem well setup to do the job.

I am lazy!! I don't want to type all the info in manually.

I want to go to Google Maps (I don't like Google Earth) and do a search on campgrounds in Branson, MO. So far so good, I get a list of campgrounds and a map full of pushpins. I can click on a pushpin and see the address and phone number.
I can't seem to export the list. If I select send, the dialog box will allow me to select GPS and Tom Tom, however it will only let me select one from the list, not all. And it puts it in a Favorite not a POI category.

I would like to be able to download a list of POIs from some online mapping program and then convert the file for use with my 720. probably via Tyre.

Any ideas on how to do this?
Or am I missing something obvious?

I can't see a way to export it using google maps either, but in google earth it can be done.

open google earth and go to branson. search for campground. I get 60 listed and they're shown in groups of 10. here is the hardest part....you have to save each group of ten to "my places". If you click on the minus sign, the list collapses into an easier readable format.

make sure the "my places" pane has no previous saved places before you start. right click and select delete.

now go to the found campgrounds pane....

right click on each group of 10 and "save to my places" each group will disappear from that pane as you do the save. they will show up below in the "my places" pane.

now go to my places pane, right click, and "save as" campgrounds or whatever name you wish. save as .kml file and save to some spot on your hard drive you can find.

Now open the saved .kml file in poiedit and save as an .ov2 file and load into your tomtom. done.

unfortunately I cannot see any way to include the phone numbers in this poi set.

here's the poi file which took about five minutes.

Attachments

• campgrounds.zip
    824 bytes · Views: 247
Last edited:
Here is a good POI file with addresses and phone numbers and 52 Campgrounds.

Attachments

• CampGrounds 15 mile radius Branson, Mo.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 243
Thanks I will try that technique and also thanks for the Branson File.
I have been talking to Jan of Tyre and He has is about 60% working.
You can go to google maps and do a search. Then past the URL into the import from website function on Tyre. Then import them to a POI file.
Unfortunatly it loses the names, addresses, phones. He is working on it and may have something in a newer release.

Ask a Question