Bricked 2 TomTom One's in one day!

similar resolution

I had a similar problem - TomTom ONE US. After first device USB plug+unplug on my Windows PC, the device flash was corrupted by Windows so it was only starting up to "Please Wait" in 6 languages. Windows was not able to mount the USB drive anymore. The TomTom support didn't answer my mail so I took the following approach: use a tool to recover files from bad drives (i.e. from the TomTom internal storage) , I was lucky that only 4, not important files, were broken, than formatted the device storage as FAT32, copied back the rescued files and it's working again. Hints: 1) keep both reset and on/off buttons pressed and you'll see bootloader details and device details (as if there were problems detecting the storage or with storage filesystem). 2) Before internal storage format, copy the rescued items on a SD card and put it in your device to validate them. Hope it helps.

Not for nothing but YES, they ARE UNRELIABLE! I have a car rental company and I own 5 of them and now 2 of them won't work, one a v8 that I can run TomPlayer all day long (consider it a very expensive 1GB MP3 Player without headphone plug! UGH) and the other one a 3rd Edition One. It won't do anything, black screen, when I plug the USB it turns the green light on but that's it, tried many and numerous ways to reset it with no luck.

I also own 4 Garmins and other than a broken screen on one they all work great, and 2 of those are c330's! Older than cold. So yeah, they are unreliable and I will never get more TomTom's for that reason.

Other unis I own are a Mio and a couple of older Magellan and they seem to work fine (so far, knocking on wood)

The sad part is that they tend to break after the warranty is up. Was on email support for like 4 days with a tech trying to fix the issue, had me format and copy maps back and forth, you know how long that takes.... (1/2 hour or more) and I would have to wait til next day for a response! I then called (phone support) and they just simply told me that the unit was out of warranty to have a nice day. That I could get one of their newer units....teeehee! Not a chance!!!

Ask a Question