A Disappointed 910GO Customer

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 910GO
After considerable research I purchased a TT 910GO a couple of days ago. While checking its specs I realized that I did not have the most current map for USA_Canada so called the support line. I was first told that version 675 was for Europe only and after questioning this was told it was available for USA_Canada and I had to PURCHASE it on their web site.

Needless to say I was very disappointed in this response as my unit comes with all maps installed and it would cost a considerable amount to update them.

Apparently my only option is to return it to Best Buy within the 30 day period unless anyone else has a suggestion?:(

Thanks for helping out

Just received a couple of replies to my latest posting . I was not aware that there was a 30 guarantee with the map in your machine. Thanks for bring this to my attention and I'll certainly be calling their support center AGAIN.

I appreciate the support and suggestions. This is definitely a great forum site.

Update on Quest

Well thanks again to all those who have tried to help out. As promised here is the latest developments in my quest to have TT honor its guarantee:

I call support services again and the first service rep I got was less than helpful indicating I was NOT entitles to a new update. I tried to read to her the TT URL page that gives a 30 day guarantee but she apparently couldn't understand my Canadian accent and indicated with no uncertainty that she HAD to see this before she could help me. After another try which failed as well I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said 'certainly' and then hung up! Gee I thought I was being quite courteous but I guess she didn't like anyone questioning her decision!

Needless to say I called back ( being the eager beaver I am and thats no pun seeing as I'm from Canada) an got Marg. Nice lady and she could even type in the URL properly and after checking with the powers that be this is TT response.

Version 665 is the SAME as map version 675. They use the designation 665 to indicate that it was pre-installed in the 910GO while the version 675 is for sales purposes only. What could I say..she was polite and considerate and obviously found it difficult to understand herself so I thanked her for the help and indicated that I would look into the matter further.

Well thats it. Makes no sense to me but what do the more experienced TT users think and how can I determine if TT is correct? For those interested here is the link to the 30 DAY GUARANTEE page. And no I did not receive a code in my box. Apparently this is JUST FOR 720 users who want to use MAP SHARING. Ya I know makes no sense to me as well.

https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/check.php

I was not aware of the 30 day guarantee either. but here is my story anyway. I argued with them over the phone for new maps. If you buy a unit brand new they should give you the most updated maps possible up to when you bought the unit. I can understand if 6 months down the road they have a new version and you have to pay for it but not when you buy it off the shelf, for who know how long it has been sitting there. I called and talked to a supervisor and spent a good hour on the phone talking to about 4 people, I called back 4 times. They finally saw it my way and gave me the new map. I had version 660 and they wanted me to pay for new maps and I said no way. I told them either give me the new maps to me or I will take it back and never buy or reccommend TT to anyone. They told me on the phone that if I bought a refurbished unit it would have the new map version on it, which sucked because if I am going to spend that much I want a new one. So I told them so when I spend more money on a new one compared to a refurbished unit I do not get the newest version and they told me that is correct and I argued heavily and I got what should have been given to me in the first place. The reason I had all that happen is because I bought one a week earlier and had to return it beacuse it would not shut off. Come to find out that the one I returned had the new version on it and they wanted to argue with me that I should not have the newest verion even though I had it to begin with! LOL

I have a friend and he got the old version of map in his device, same problem he bought an old stock unit with older version of North American Maps. We tried to install the new version of map(6.75) on that time they are giving it for free till march 2007. Then I encountered problem, we could not open the North American maps (1.4GB) in his device so we tried to call TT Tech.support tell them that you will return their product if they do not help you. They only ask the device serial number of TTGO910 located in the back of the unit, then he gave us a different and new activation code which was given by their system and the New North American maps work. This was all done through Tomtom home and you should be connected in their system.Maybe if you knew somebody who got the updated maps then try these. If it they (TT tech support) will not let help you then return the unit before 30 days.

Last edited:
It's a miracle TomTom is still in business considering how they handle their customer service requests. They have got to be one of the most wildly illogical (and yet puzzlingly successful) companies when it comes to fulfilling customer requests that I have seen in recent years.

One happy customer tells on average two people about their experience.
One unhappy customer tells on average seven people about their experience.

Come on, TomTom, hire someone in there who has some business sense and let's see a little practical concession on your part.

Ask a Question