740 Go Live on long trip..some issues

All,
I took my 740 Live from PA to Fl a few weeks ago. The device started fine showing traffic, but, then in Virginia, I noticed that traffic indicator on the right was spinning and I couldn't connect. I thought maybe it was a coverage loss thing, but, it continued. At a lunch stop I unplugged it from the 12V and it told me the battery was dead which was odd since it was charging the whole time. The Traffic came back, but, then it happened again. So, while in Georgia I decided to turn off Bluetooth and then it worked fine. Does Bluetooth really screw up this device?
On the way home, I left it off and live traffic was fine the entire 900 miles, however, the unit rebooted 4 or 5 times out of no where. I did notice sometimes it happened when a change in direction was just about up.

So, I see a few issues here. Bluetooth doesn't work. Even if I have it on and take a phone call, at some point during the conversation it cuts out and reboots. 2nd, for no reason the unit can reboot while driving. What is up with that???

Are there any firmware fixes for the Bluetooth? Anything I can do about the unit reboots out of nowhere?

Damian

All,
I took my 740 Live from PA to Fl a few weeks ago. The device started fine showing traffic, but, then in Virginia, I noticed that traffic indicator on the right was spinning and I couldn't connect. I thought maybe it was a coverage loss thing, but, it continued. At a lunch stop I unplugged it from the 12V and it told me the battery was dead which was odd since it was charging the whole time. The Traffic came back, but, then it happened again. So, while in Georgia I decided to turn off Bluetooth and then it worked fine. Does Bluetooth really screw up this device?
On the way home, I left it off and live traffic was fine the entire 900 miles, however, the unit rebooted 4 or 5 times out of no where. I did notice sometimes it happened when a change in direction was just about up.

So, I see a few issues here. Bluetooth doesn't work. Even if I have it on and take a phone call, at some point during the conversation it cuts out and reboots. 2nd, for no reason the unit can reboot while driving. What is up with that???

Are there any firmware fixes for the Bluetooth? Anything I can do about the unit reboots out of nowhere?

Damian

I have a 940 rather than a 740 - but once I found that though I had thought that I had fixed it properly to the Active Dock - Car Windshield mount thingy - it actually felll off into the car - and I caught it before it hit the floor while the mount thing was firmly attached to the windshield.

To me this meant that the fixing is a bit dubious and after that I always try to pull it towards me, shake the device a bit or turn it around a bit just to make sure it is fixed properly into the windshield mount.

I have found that when the battery actually goes down many of the functions of the device start becoming unreliable and it even starts giving wrong messages - such as no satellites found etc etc - though you may be out doors it might suddenly think that you are indoors etc.

To check the battery status, if you touch the lower right corner of the screen where it normally shows the satellite signal strength bars, it shows the battery status along with indication as to whether phone is connected or not - hope you checked this.

If the device reboots intermittently there may actually be some hardware problem - such some loose connection within the device etc.

Reset your device by holding down the on/ off button for around 30 seconds, once you hear the drum roll you can release the button, you won't lose any settings doing this but it might sort out the issue with the Bluetooth and charging - Mike

I've seen a lot more stability on the new app 9.054. It still reboots often if you don't clear route prior to shutting it down, but otherwise a lot of the random bluetooth crashes of earlier apps seems to have lessened.

Ask a Question