2G & 3G switch-off in U.K. announced today

@Teledave It is only the 3G service that has been scheduled for closure over the next couple of years, your TomTom uses the 2G network so will still receive the traffic data for several more years

To receive Bluetooth from your phone, the phone must be next to your GPS.
I've just realised that you mean the only way the standalone TomTom device will be able to receive Traffic updates is if you have it connected to a smartphone.

What will happen with my 6100 as it has lifetime free traffic and cameras? Would I end up having to pay for the service

@stevew_68

You won't need to pay for the service, but you will have to opt for a new connection method in the UK to receive it if you have been relying on your 6100's built-in cellular capability to make the connection.

You'll lose your cellular connection when you're not in an area of Europe where 2G service is offered. Only a few countries seem intent on keeping it around for some years to come.

You'll need to use your phone as the data source in the UK now. If your mobile provider's plan includes it for free, you can use Bluetooth tethering to connect your 6100 to the outside world. If there's a charge, there's an option to use the TomTom MyDrive app on your phone via Bluetooth to try to get around the tethering charge.

Last edited:
@stevew_68

You won't need to pay for the service, but you will have to opt for a new connection method in the UK to receive it if you have been relying on your 6100's built-in cellular capability to make the connection.

You'll lose your cellular connection when you're not in an area of Europe where 2G service isn't offered. Only a few countries seem intent on keeping it around for some years to come.

You'll need to use your phone as the data source in the UK now. If your mobile provider's plan includes it for free, you can use Bluetooth tethering to connect your 6100 to the outside world. If there's a charge, there's an option to use the TomTom MyDrive app on your phone via Bluetooth to try to get around the tethering charge.
Not happy, as I bought is for the lifetime worldwide services. The way mobiles are charged for roaming now I'd have to pay for the privalage.

Not happy, as I bought is for the lifetime worldwide services. The way mobiles are charged for roaming now I'd have to pay for the privalage.
It's not Tomtom's fault if telephone operators are removing 2G and 3G.

Tomtom has however modified so that customers who have a GPS with a SIM card continue to receive traffic on their GPS.

We started losing the AT&T 2G service needed for our Nav3 devices back in early 2017 here, 3G last year.

I'm wondering if, 3g will be switched off for phones but kept live for data for sat navs etc,. It's a possibility.
Companies still have sat navs in stock with lifetime live traffic so I wonder what will happen to them

Well, if the operators deactivate 3G, it will automatically be deactivated for everyone, including businesses.

I'm wondering if, 3g will be switched off for phones but kept live for data for sat navs etc,. It's a possibility.
Companies still have sat navs in stock with lifetime live traffic so I wonder what will happen to them
Same as they wound up doing a few years ago here in the US where 2G died a while back ... Bring Your Own Connection (your phone) becomes the only solution. We never had any of the 5x00 or 6x00 devices in North America.

Hi there @stevew_68 - your GO 6100 has a Vodaphone 2G sim and that signal in the U.K. is not likely to be shut down anytime soon (their website states by 2033). One other thing all the mobile network operators also had to bear in mind in the U.K. is that many 1st edition (inbuilt 2G sim) smart meters currently monitoring home users electricity/gas usage couldn’t be upgraded.
3G is definitely going, to open up a wider spectrum for 4 and 5G.
You are good to go with your GO 6100 in the U.K. for a few years yet.

Anyway Tomtom anticipates the end of SIM cards on their GPS
the new GPS no longer have a SIM card to insert by then the end of 2G/3G the old GPS with SIM card will be recycled.

Ask a Question