Which TT to replace GO 730T?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730T
I currently use the TomTom Go 730T, which I've been happy with. I want to be able to enter not only addresses, but also map coordinates. And do not want the simplified, dumbed-down screens, but the full screen options. Currently I use an SD card. The only reason I'm considering a new TT is to get one with free map updates, so I don't have to keep paying for maps every year. And I want free traffic. Suggestions?

None of the current models come close to the 730 in its functionality. So forget stuff like Itinerary Planning, mp3 player, etc.

I'd look here: http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/index.jsp?WT.Click_Link=hp_link and spend some time looking at the different categories and models available in the Go or Via series. Then, come back and ask specific questions about any that catch your eye.

All models of Go and Via have lifetime maps, all except for the Go 1535 LIVE have lifetime traffic using a similar (but better) rds-tmc combo antenna/car charger that the 730T unit has. The Go LIVE has 1-year of live services which includes better traffic info than provided by the rds antenna but it costs $60/yr to renew services.

So decide on screen width, etc. and $$$ you are prepared to pay.

None of the current models come close to the 730 in its functionality. So forget stuff like Itinerary Planning, mp3 player, etc.

I'd look here: http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/index.jsp?WT.Click_Link=hp_link and spend some time looking at the different categories and models available in the Go or Via series. Then, come back and ask specific questions about any that catch your eye.

All models of Go and Via have lifetime maps, all except for the Go 1535 LIVE have lifetime traffic using a similar (but better) rds-tmc combo antenna/car charger that the 730T unit has. The Go LIVE has 1-year of live services which includes better traffic info than provided by the rds antenna but it costs $60/yr to renew services.

So decide on screen width, etc. and $$$ you are prepared to pay.
Thanks for the fast reply. I did look at the TT web site, as well as your spread sheet listing models. I'm really disappointed the new models have such limited features. I use Itinerary planning a lot, and often have ten or more waypoints. What's with only 4 on the Via, and no saving? Sad. I don't need the MP3 player, or photo stuff. I like the 730's mount, which just slides on (I use a dash mount on a beanbag - in Wisconsin (and several other states), it's not legal to mount it on the windshield.) I've had the 730T for many years and trips. When the battery wouldn't hold a charge longer than 30 seconds, I opened it up and installed a new battery. After looking at various models, I'm thinking of the Via 1535TM, or maybe the bigger Via 1605TM (which isn't in your spreadsheet yet). Do these have the dumbed down menu? If so, is there access to more advanced features?

The Via 1535TM doesn't have a 'dumbed down' menu, it just won't have as many options as the 730 did. Like IP.

The user has no access to the file system on the current devices so no hacking of the menu can be done. Nor can you back up maps (though you can always reload from your account)

Further, the newer devices do NOT use Home; rather, they require a web based interface called MyDrive and you need a different email address for each device you have when you log in.

The Via 1535TM doesn't have a 'dumbed down' menu, it just won't have as many options as the 730 did. Like IP.

The user has no access to the file system on the current devices so no hacking of the menu can be done. Nor can you back up maps (though you can always reload from your account)

Further, the newer devices do NOT use Home; rather, they require a web based interface called MyDrive and you need a different email address for each device you have when you log in.
None of the current devices can be modified? Wow, that's a shame. I have a custom display with my name and office address in case it gets lost, family photo on the start up screen, and have used file access to modify and backup files on the device. Sigh. Well, I will get the Via 1605TM and check it out. Meanwhile, I'll hang onto my Go 730T and treasure it even more. Thanks for your helpful advice and input.

Although you'll find some options missing with the Via1605, wait until you see the screen. As resistive units go, it's fantastic! Big, bright and clear.

If you have any thoughts about using Live services in the future, though, you might want to latch onto a GO 1535TM before they're all gone. However, that unit's Live abilities won't last beyond the end of 2016 -- AT&T is shutting down 2G service at that time.

Although you'll find some options missing with the Via1605, wait until you see the screen. As resistive units go, it's fantastic! Big, bright and clear.

If you have any thoughts about using Live services in the future, though, you might want to latch onto a GO 1535TM before they're all gone. However, that unit's Live abilities won't last beyond the end of 2016 -- AT&T is shutting down 2G service at that time.
Live Services is only one year; I don't wish to pay for more than I have to. The reason I'm wanting a device with free map updates is to not pay every year for map updates. Anyone know how long TT considers as the "useful life" of a device?

Who knows? What we do know is that map updates are still being offered for some of the oldest TomTom units made. There are a very rare few whose memory constraints prevent loading full map sets, but nothing we're discussing here will have that problem since they all support uSD cards.

Ask a Question