Voice downloading

TomTom Model(s)
Go 930
Hi , I have a Tomtom start 60 . Loving it immensely by its simplicity, Downloading voices is all done from the official tomtom site by the press of a button and next minute there on your sat Nav.
But what I`d like to know is how to add a voice which I can buy off a non official site. For instance I want to buy and add ,the R Lee Ermey gunny Sgt voice from the " Full metal jacket film ".
Can I still buy a voice and add it "manually " on the Start 60 , as you used to on previous Tomtom sat navs. ?

You don't have the ability to add a voice by copying it directly to the unit, if that's the question. There's no access to the file system on these new units. However, the "Add Community Content" option (from the MyTomTom icon in the systray, lower right of your screen) gives you the ability to add custom POI and 3rd party voices non-computer (no text to speech) to your unit. Find a free voice or two here http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/voices and experiment until you are comfortable with the procedure, then move on to a 'paid' voice.

yes you`ve answered my question thank you . Its what I had hoped wasn`t the case. But never mind thats the way it goes.

Just curious - what kind of "faulty" was it?

Kept freezing on me while in use after a week of it being Ok and working fine . it was only about two weeks old. so I returned it under the warranty . I didn`t fancy another after that ,so decided on a 930T off E bay.

Good hardware from a fine vintage, but if it hasn't had a battery yet, be prepared for a bit of handiwork at some point not far down the road. Not a huge deal, and we've got tutorial info for it here if you ever need it.

Yes thanks for the reminder canderson, I realized It possibly will need a replacement battery by now, so I ordered one under the title of " newpower 99 " with fixing tools, off Amazon. I like " tinkering ",so It`ll give me something to play with on a rainy day.:D

Just be careful if you separate the halves. You don't have to raise the little clip on the flex connector much at all to release the flex cable. Keep us posted on your progress.

How long will the unit run on a full charge now?

Just be careful if you separate the halves. You don't have to raise the little clip on the flex connector much at all to release the flex cable. Keep us posted on your progress.

How long will the unit run on a full charge now?

To be honest with you, I`ve not tried using `just` the battery on its own as I use my sat Navs mostly by the Car charger. But i`m replacing the battery so I know its going to be as new and not hit or miss that It`ll work off the battery ,as and when needed.
I did start "tinkering" with the settings the other day and it was fully charged on starting, but soon after the low battery started showing , so that was enough for me to buy a replacement new one to fit.
I`m expecting the new battery to arrive around the start of the month so ,yes i will let you know how I get on with replacing it . :thumb:

Well Surprisingly enough the new battery arrived this morning from Amazon . I wasn`t expecting it till after the 27th. It came with a CD explaining how to fit it and two tools. A tork screwdriver ,and a green plastic lever type thing.
I just ran the CD through on my PC and then re played it ,and stopped it at each step of the way & re started it when each step was done. All in all, it only took about 8 - 10 minutes in total ,max . You just have to be careful and take your time and not rush it. I then left it on charge for two hours. Alls working fine.
A good Job done ,easy peasy. Easier than I thought it was going to be actually.

Good deal. The tricky part in swapping on this vintage is removing the existing battery. The adhesive they use originally is pretty aggressive!

What did the CD recommend for securing the new battery to the board?

The old battery was reasonably well stuck on to be fair , but after a bit of controlled prizing with the Green tool that accompanied the battery , it did yield . I cut a small piece about 1 1/2 " long by 1/2 " wide ,of double sided "gell " tape to put back on . Its what the CD suggested . Well it just said double sided tape,but I had the gell type handy so that`s what was used and it worked fine.
its done the job anyway

Ask a Question