TT 3rd Lost all data

I inherited a TT 3rd with the flashing cross of death on the power up screen. Looking at the TT with explorer showed no files on the device. I don't have a backup since I just got the device. I have another TT 3rd and I wanted this one to give to my daughter who will be leaving for college.

I tried copying my working TT's files to a folder (including hidden files) and the formatted the bad TT. I then copied the files to the bad TT and let TT Home update the application. It will boot, allow me to select language, set time, etc. but when it gets to the screen to select the maps, both maps listed give a "This map cannot be used" error. I did do one Clear Flash, but no difference.

Is the problem that the maps from my good TT are a different version from the bad TT?

Is there a way that I can download all the factory original software to restore the bad TT to the original condition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Maps are locked to a single specific device once installed so copying a map from another working unit will only result in the error message that you are seeing.
The only way around this is to purchase a map for the device using TomTom Home, this will create the activation code needed for the map to work on your device - Mike

That's what I was afraid of...

I didn't want to buy a map for fear that I would still have the same problem. (i.e. if it wasn't a map problem)

You're sure there is no way to download the original maps and files that were originally installed on the device from Tomtom?

You could try a call to their customer support number but you will only end up wasting time as I am 99,9% sure as to what their answer will be - If the original map has gone AWOL off the device and you have no coppy of the original data from the device there is no option other than purchase of a new map - Mike

Ask a Question