Tripmaster question

I'm new to both GPS and Tripmaster. I need a log to keep mileage for the IRS and thought Tripmaster would be a good option. What is the best type of log to keep and where are the logs located? How do they get from the TomTom to the computer? Is it done automatically or do I need to do something?

(Guess that's more than one question. :))

Thank you in advance.

First I think we need to make sure that the product will do as you need, and understand how to get it to do that for you.

As best I can tell, you're attempting to use this to log mileage from point to point to point. The logging function of Tripmaster is really designed as a "track log", recording points every so often to produce a track of your travel to (perhaps) be viewed on a map later). However, there's a manual way to mark a point, and as it happens, it will give intermediate mileage in the process. With "autologging" off, I believe that means that the entire log will contain only the manual points when you trigger them to be recorded. Review the following in the on-line docs and see if this will work for you:

Reset the intermediate trip

When clicking on the distance zone of the distances (lower right corner), you reset the intermediate trip. If the tracking logs are active, a tracking point with the current mileage of the intermediate trip is recorded.

As for where things are stored, the "general" log of your trip is called tripsummary.log and winds up in the /tripmaster folder.

Track logs, which would contain your manually triggered point data, are stored in the /itn folder. The format of that data depends upon how you've chosen to have it stored.

I don't know if you spotted the way to get the English docs from that site, but here's the link:

Le Web Bazar !!! Tripmaster !!!

Ok. Right now I have auto logging on. It seems to log everything. You're saying if I turn that off, I can manually log point A to point B? I can simply tap the lower right corner and reset. Is that correct?

I used it for the first time this morning and it worked great. It was about .2 less than google maps says it is.

Also, what would the best logs be to get into Excel? My text editor seems to bring up the logs in DOS or txt format.

Thank you in advance.

Ok. Right now I have auto logging on. It seems to log everything. You're saying if I turn that off, I can manually log point A to point B? I can simply tap the lower right corner and reset. Is that correct?
Yes. Right now, it's logging your position every X seconds or whatever, and I don't think that was your objective. Nice for making tracks of your trips, but if you only need information at specific points, it's way too much info.

Also, what would the best logs be to get into Excel? My text editor seems to bring up the logs in DOS or txt format.
Use the CSV format. It's the most compatible for "Import" to Excel.

Lovin' TRIPMASTER and TOMTOM

Hi!
@rico5000- the link (Le Web Bazar !!! Tripmaster !!! ) canderson gave you answers all of this, but it is a little out of date. I just started playing with Tripmaster last night, and here's what I have so far:

In V3.1, the current, My GUI screen setup is slightly different. The Lower right corner has a silver wrench icon. Yours may be different. Press the lower right corner. This gets you into the configuration screens, called 'setup screens (or menu)' on the link. My TomTom (a ONE 125/130 I think) has a delay from the screen/button press to execution- about 1/2 - 3/4 second. So tap once and wait a sec;) Once you get used to that, it is easy .
Some of the english may be an automated translation, but it is a great start. The configuration screen setup is unchanged from the version shown in the tutorial section, and the functions are explained rather well further down.

To turn on manual logging, press in the uper left corner where the red circle/blue triangle icon is. "logs activated" should flash three times in the upper right . After that, the log file is written there- (I am using KML format for google earth, so it reads : tm20110131_17****.kml (2) ) I am guessing the format of the filename, but that translates to Date_ unique file ID.kml (the number of entries) displayed there?

I am assuming while logging is active, the course/distance/period variables entered on the "Logs" configuration screen determine the number of file entries into that file.:confused: EDIT- Multiple points are saved

Pressing the upper left corner again while the filename is displayed will cause the filename display to change briefly to routes backup... ( closing the file?) then "logs deactivated" flashes three times. That display area then remains blank until logging resumes.

ANYTIME you tap the compass area, left center, a waypoint is added. Not sure of the data logged for this event, as I have yet to see any of the logged data!

Now I am off to learn how to recover and view the logged data. I *think* I understand the display and setup now. My goal is to be able to display a recreation of the logged route on Google Earth. Using street view, it might be a neat way to send directions to someone visiting you.

EDIT: EASY!!
1) Download and install Google Earth
2) Have ' kml ' selected on the 'Logs' configuration screen, record a trip.
3) Connect the TomTom to the computer. Using explorer, in my case, I access the ' itn ' folder. The .kml files had a Google Earth icon!
4) Doubleclick on the file, and Google earth opens and shows you a plot of all your travels in that logging event.

Your idea to use it for buisness travel-logging is a good one, and should be do-able.

Appears to be a wonderful program, Tripmaster. Well worth a click on the donate button!

I am still learning about this, and welcome any more resources and/or corrections. :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question