TomTom ONE perma broken?

Hello all. As of right now I can't use my TomTom at all!
I've been using it since I started driving and have become very dependent upon it so any help in fixing it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Computer:
Windows xp home edition

TomTom Home v 2.7

Model:
TomTom ONE (not sure of the exact model number but all it has is a usb port located at the bottom and a on/off button on top right hand corner) . I've owned/used this gps for about 2 years now.

Backstory:
I decided to pick up my girlfriend from school, turned the gps on, punched in the address and took off. Was a 10-15min min drive and all was functioning as normal. After I picked her up we went back to my job which was another 10 minute drive and once we got there we started to drink and talk in my car. After about 20 minutes we decided to leave and I noticed my gps was suddenly off. Upon further inspection I also noticed it was a little wet like something had spilled on it but I don't recall us spilling anything. I turned it back on and ran into the red blinking X of death and could not get past that screen. I made her dry it off but it didn't help at all. Not sure what could have happened in that short 40 mins but I have not been able to use my gps since.

Problem:

1. Can't access normal GPS functions.

1.) When I turn on my gps I only get a red blinking X. I tried doing a reset several times (turning it on then holding power button till it turns off then back on without letting go) but that didn't do anything either.

[If I plug in the usb cord while its connected to the computer when the blinking red x screen is on, the screen will change to show that the usb cord is connected into the TomTom but nothing happens after that.]

2. Can't access option of connecting to computer when GPS is plugged into computer.

2.) If i plug my usb cord into the tomtom and then start my TomTom up, the TomTom will load into the please wait/don't remove usb cord screen, but it NEVER moves past that screen.

Additional info:
When I connect the GPS to the computer and open up device manager, under disk drives I can see TomTom ONE (v8) so at the very least my computer detects that The GPS is plugged in.

------------------------
My tomtom broke once before also. One day out of nowhere it completely reset itself so whenever I turned it on it was as if you were turning it on for the first time. Once I got to the last setting it would just crash and reboot every time though. I had to delete and reinstall everything to finally fix the problem.
-----------------------

Is there anything I can do to fix it at this point or should I just go out and find me a new one :(. Though I must say even though I got this TomTom brand new I been having issues with it since it came out the box. Makes me a bit wary to get a new one. Thanks for taking the time to read, PEACE!

-Tallgeese3

Last edited:
Do you have a full backup of your unit, or do we need to scrape the root directory of files (not folders) and start over?
Also, you might want to update Home. You're down rev at present.

sorry to say but I never made a backup :( .

BUT I did keep all the files from when I had to reinstall everything the first time it broke if that helps at all.

Referring to:

Download>Complete>TomTom application for one>navcore + other files.

I also have a downloadOLD folder with similar files inside.

When you connect to the compute, does the computer detect its presence?

What you want to protect is your specific map folder; everything else can be reloaded at no cost.

If you can connect to the computer, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and you should be offered an application. Download and install it.

Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon on Home's screen.

Reboot the unit. Does that help?

Even though my comp can recognize the GPS is plugged in and shows there is a new drive in device manager I can't access that drive at all. Nothing new shows up in My computer and TomTom home also shows no device is connected.

Well, home isn't even part of the equation at the moment.

Try a pin reset on your unit and then connect to the computer again.

Does Windows show a removable drive that refers to the TT unit?

If so, what happens when you click on it?

I don't think my model comes with a pin reset. I've looked it over plenty of times before and I never saw it.

When I open up device manager, under disk drives I can see TomTom ONE (v8). That is the only drive that will show up. I can only enable/disable it, rollback driver/uninstall driver/update driver.

If there is no reset switch try pressing and holding the on/ button for around fifteen seconds, you can release the switch when the unit reboots with a drum roll - Mike

Ask a Question