TomTom ONE 3rd Edition: Dead application?

I have a TomTom ONE that will no longer boot. It's not the standard "White Screen of Death" or the flashing X in the corner. Instead boots up to the part where it displays the "Legal Notice" screen, but then appears to freeze before loading it completely. This started right after an upgrade when it said "disconnect, then reconnect" and following the instructions, I did (before they really wanted me to, doh!)

Anyway, the furthest I can get now is this screen. I tried getting a newer application for it, but it says none are available. I do not have a working backup, but I do have a current non-working backup so I am willing to make risky moves to get this to work. Once it is working, I will be making a backup (learned my lesson).

Here are some other interesting points. When I open TomTom Home 2.2 I am able to "Operate my ONE" and it works fine from there, just not on my actual tomtom.

According to Home, I have an 882.3MB 710.1575 USA&Canada map and a 7.7MB 7.166 TomTom application for GO, ONE and RIDER. I have a feeling that even though it is the newest version of the application, it is not a working copy. When I delete this file and try to get a new one from a Home update, it says none exist (even if no previous copies exist on my device!!)

Sorry, I'm long winded. I hope you guys can help :(

Attachments

• IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 686
According to Home, I have an 882.3MB 710.1575 USA&Canada map and a 7.7MB 7.166 TomTom application for GO, ONE and RIDER. I have a feeling that even though it is the newest version of the application, it is not a working copy. When I delete this file and try to get a new one from a Home update, it says none exist (even if no previous copies exist on my device!!)

Sorry, I'm long winded. I hope you guys can help :(

Tried a pin reset on the unit? If your Virtual Go works, the issue is not anything to do with TTHome, I believe.

Yep, I've done pin resets, 15 second pin resets, etc. TTHome isn't my problem, just the application that's actually on my ONE device. Aside from downloading through TTHome, is it possible to download a new TT application?

Did you try to call TomTom support ?
This guy has some old firmware.
I managed to kill my 510, and nothing could revive it except a complete restore from an integral backup (what I meant was I could not copy a map from one backup, a fw from another, all I got was the dreaded Red X).

Did you try to call TomTom support ?
This guy has some old firmware.
I managed to kill my 510, and nothing could revive it except a complete restore from an integral backup (what I meant was I could not copy a map from one backup, a fw from another, all I got was the dreaded Red X).

That's exactly what I needed. After reinstalling TT's application it works perfectly. Thank you for the link, you are a lifesaver :D

Same problem

I am having the exact same problem. However, when I try to install the old firmware linked above by moving those files into my TT root, I get the screen with the big red X.

I've managed to restore it to the original "white screen" configuration, but would appreciate any help from Yamiyanazz or anyone else.

Thanks!

I am having the exact same problem. However, when I try to install the old firmware linked above by moving those files into my TT root, I get the screen with the big red X.

I've managed to restore it to the original "white screen" configuration, but would appreciate any help from Yamiyanazz or anyone else.

Thanks!

After reinstalling the firmware, do a pin rest on the unit. Then boot up.

I've always hated reviveing old threads, but this one really is going in the right direction of what im trying to figure out. I have the little flashing X of death on my screen of my ONE but i cannot download anything to it. Neither versions of TTHome nor my computer are able to communicate with my ONE. In my computer it asks if i want to format it when i double click on it. Can give any and all info needed! PLEASE HELP and thank you in advance!!

-Adam

I've always hated reviveing old threads, but this one really is going in the right direction of what im trying to figure out. I have the little flashing X of death on my screen of my ONE but i cannot download anything to it. Neither versions of TTHome nor my computer are able to communicate with my ONE. In my computer it asks if i want to format it when i double click on it. Can give any and all info needed! PLEASE HELP and thank you in advance!!

-Adam

1) Did you ever make a backup of your TomTom?
2) If #1 is yes, you can simply use Windows Explorer to format either a) your internal TomTom memory or b) your SD card
3) Once formatted, you can copy the entire contents of your C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ONE\Backup01\ folder directly to the root of your TomTom internal memory or SD card.

The little red X is occuring because the TomTom is not recognizing any operating system on the internal memory or SD card.

yes i do have a backup, but when i go to format it tells me that it cannot complete the operation, on both regular and quick modes.
I did however move my back up to a SD card and It will come up to the NO MAPS FOUND screen, buts thats as far as it will go. I cannot seem to find a "map" on my computer. Im borrowing the SD card from my phone so idealy i dont want to leave it in the device.

Thanks again- Adam

yes i do have a backup, but when i go to format it tells me that it cannot complete the operation, on both regular and quick modes.
I did however move my back up to a SD card and It will come up to the NO MAPS FOUND screen, buts thats as far as it will go. I cannot seem to find a "map" on my computer. Im borrowing the SD card from my phone so idealy i dont want to leave it in the device.

Thanks again- Adam

Obviously, first thing first we NEED to get windows to recognize your TomTom's internal memory and that there is 1G inside of it. When we get to that point, we can get your backup copied over and then get your map back.

Have you tried using the clear flash tool from TomTom and then trying to format using FAT16 (note, you cannot use NTFS on these devices...many people have good results with either FAT16 or FAT32 (including myself), but I know for certain that my out-of-the-box TomTom was formatted as FAT16). TomTom's clearflash tool is below:
>>> Clear Flash TOOL <<<

Hopefully the tool will at least recognize you have a TomTom installed and perform it's "magic".

Once you've run the Clear Flash tool, try to reformat that internal memory....again, you need to get windows to recognize your TomTom's memory.

If you still have problems, try following some of the options given on the following page:
>>> Recognizing the TomTom <<<

MAPS:
Does your backup contain a /Guam/ and /USA_and_Canada/ folder? If not, then your maps weren't backup for whatever reason. If you do, and the TomTom still doesn't recognize your maps, there is something wrong with the *.dct file and you'll need to perform the following:
1) Turn on TomTom
2) Open TomTom HOME 2 on your PC
3) Once the device is recognized, go to the TOOLS menu and select "USE LATEST MAP GUARANTEE".

TomTom HOME should look recognize that you don't have maps and go to TomTom's server and grab the latest version you are allowed to use for your device. Once it comes back with the GUAM and USA_AND_CANADA maps, install them by clicking the INSTALL button on the bottom right.

If it doesn't show any maps when it returns the results, you'll need to completely delete the /Guam/ and /USA_and_Canada/ maps folders off your TomTom. One you delete these folders, follow the above procedure again.

NOTE: - All of your favorites and previous map settings will all be lost with this installation, but you'll be back to 'factory fresh'

Last edited:
We were close, but no cigar. On my laptop it would not allow me to format the TOMTOM. It just said unable to format, i tried both FAT and FAT32 modes. You made mention of FAT16 but that was not an option given to me. Do i have to do it through a DOS promt or a 3rd party app for that.

But on my Big Computer i was able to format it, i began with FAT32 and after succesful format it told me i had (ithink) 979MB free. I ran the flash tool and it was able to communicate with the device. But the SECOND i tried to move something onto the device, it said that it was out of memory. The first file i think was 16KB.

So i tried the same procedure only with just FAT but the results were the same.

Also trying to access the device after the attempted file transfer was impossible as it reverted to its earlier condition with no communication at all, just a request to format(on both computers).

Thanks for sticking with me on this one.

-Adam

P.S. RUNNING XP. all is up to date!

Ask a Question