tomtom car kit not working?

just bought a tomtom car kit for my iphone 3gs with latest firmware and it looks like kit is faulty but maybe someone went through this before.
so i connect the kit to car lighter socket, put the iphone in it, the iphone charges but when i go to bluetooth it never finds the kit.
i pressed the volume button on the kit for 8 seconds to reset it and i hear a beep but still not showing up.
other devices can see and connect to my iphone so i know its not that. i've also tried other devices to see the kit but none of them do.
i've downloaded the tomtom car kit app from itunes and that says its not connected even when the phone is. what's going on?
at the moment i have the worlds most expensive charger :(

I have the same issue,

Had a 3G running 3.1.2. Had enough of the apps telling me i could only update them running ios 4+ so i upgraded to IOS4.1 and now not only does my TomTom Car kit no longer pair. It also causes my 3G phone to crash all the apps i try to open while its docked. Once removed they go back to opening just fine.

ie; Settings, Google Maps and even TomTom.

I have cleared the pairing by holding in the volume till it beeps on the dock, and removed the pair in my phone. When i scan for bluetooth It won't even find it anymore.

Phone charges fine in the dock, so its not a power issue.

I am also running tomtom 1.5 which seems to work fine (bar the poor gps reception) when undocked.

So after exhaustive testing and configuring, and google scouring i rolled back my Iphone to the FW 3.1.3, reinstalled TomTomAUS 1.5 and now my iPhone can once again, find the TomTom dock, open applications while in the dock, and has a decent GPS fix once again.

I guess theirs an issue with IOS 4.1, the 3G firmware and the new Update 1.5.
God only knows what.

Same here!

I just received the carkit, and had previously installed the free carkit tool. I have a brandnew iPhone4.

- charging works
- audio playback of MP3's through the carstereo works
- voice instructions through the carkit doesn't work (volume control on the carkit has no effect)
- carkit tool says 'not docked'
- bluetooth connection does not work. It keeps searching but never finds it. Resetting (pushing the carkit volume button until the beep doesn't hel)

Rebooting the phone, reinstalling the tool, with or without power from the car, nothing helps.

Basically: I have a 99euros charger ...

I just received the carkit, and had previously installed the free carkit tool. I have a brandnew iPhone4.

- charging works
- audio playback of MP3's through the carstereo works
- voice instructions through the carkit doesn't work (volume control on the carkit has no effect)
- carkit tool says 'not docked'
- bluetooth connection does not work. It keeps searching but never finds it. Resetting (pushing the carkit volume button until the beep doesn't hel)

Rebooting the phone, reinstalling the tool, with or without power from the car, nothing helps.

Basically: I have a 99euros charger ...

first try and see if the Kit is working
Are you getting a fix?
Try an audio cord from the car kit to the radio and confirm the radio switch is on
If no audio this way try from the iPhone direct to the aux in on the radio?

go settings then blue tooth and see if the car kit is listed

The iPhone will only pair with one source (while in the car kit), if the unit is paired to the radio, then delete that and then try and pair with the car kit

Turn on bluetooth on your phone before docking it in the cradle, as otherwise it will not 'find' the dock.

Sometimes my unit seems to get confused as to whether it should output audio through the car kit internal speaker or through the headphone jack. This is true even when music play back fine. Try pulling out the audio cable from the dock and reinserting it again with the app running. Also check that you haven't knocked the mute switch on your phone!

Ask a Question