TomTom Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. I've had a TomTom One for a few years now and found it ideal for travelling around Europe, providing I didn't make the beginner's mistake of always assuming the TomTom showed the correct priority at inter-sections.
Just recently, I decided to give Geocaching a go and before committing to buy a GPS handheld, I thought I'd use the TomTom One 'Where Am I' facility to check I'd correctly identified a cache site. It was interesting to note both my TomTom One and my wife's more recent TomTom One show virtually the same map coordinates under 'Where Am I', yet these differ significantly from what I see using a Fortuna GPS Slim coupled to my Macbook and using an app called GPSUtility.
According to the geocache location I was checking out, the Fortuna was giving the accurate coordinates and both Tom Toms were way off. Example: TomTom (N.50 74275 W.1 92451) & Fortuna (N.50 44.56 W.1 55.47).
Maybe this explains why some users find the units are not accurate in locating their home address.
This won't stop me using the TomTom for road use but I will reserve judgement as to it's absolute accuracy under the 'Where Am I' utility....

Last edited:
Ooops! Just worked out the reason for the discrepancy. TomTom show coordinates as Decimal Degrees whereas the GPS app (and Geocaching.com) is displaying in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds. Sorry folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question