TomTom 720 mounted in a 2004 Focus....

After seeing all of the ingenious mounting ideas you guys/gals inspired me to do my mounting as well.

I sat down in the car and began looking for a solution. I have an area on the dash that has a little cubby storage section I never use. It is just off to the side of the steering wheel and away from the window, and closer to my hand. I thought that would be a good location if I could only figure a way to mount it. I wanted it to look factory so I wanted to incorporate the factory arm. My son's puppy had chewed on the suction cup to the point that it was suspect in holding anyway so it was no big loss.

The first thing I did was remove the suction cup which is SECURELY mounted on the base of the arm. I had to eventually strip it off with my large channel locks. The base makes for a really nice flat mounting point.

I then drilled the base to accept a screw. I also had to file it slightly to allow of a head of the bottom out. It worked fine.

Now where to mount it? I noticed that the dash plate had a screw there on the underside. Ah-ha! I took the screw out and hunted up a longer screw with matching threads. I eventually found one with a bolt head and had to use a small wrench, this worked out quite nicely.

I would have preferred to have it mounted a little higher, but such is life, this works quite nicely. I've check the sats and get as many as when it was mounted on the window. I can now put the sun shade up w/o removing the suction cup! I'll post a picture if I can find the darn camera.

Next is the hard mount if I can find a usb setup. I want to keep the factory one set up so I can move it to the wife's car if necessary.

ETA: I believe this is a very secure mounting and I have seen very little vibration. When I have the radio turned down for the FM transmitter I can hear a little rattle, I think I can silence that with a second stalk on the underside pushing upward. I don't know if I'll worry too much about it as I can't hear anything on a plain jane road ( I heard it on a rough back country road) with the radio on. Getting it closer to my hand makes a world of difference.

Mitch

Attachments

• car interior steering 1.jpg
    car interior steering 1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • car interior side view 1.jpg
    car interior side view 1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:
I've been driving it now for a 90 mile total drive daily and I've had no issues. I'm very happy with the location and the set up. I wish I could find a cradle that would mount so I wouldn't have to plug the mini-usb in every time.

Now for the perm power to clean up the cig lighter plug.

Oh and thanks for the comments, I thought I had this subscribed, I guess not.

Ask a Question