Tom Tom One won't boot up

Hi all,

I have a TT One, 3rd edition.

It has been running fine, but when I went to start it today, it flashes the big red "X" and won't connect via USB to the computer as it did before. "Device not recognized" on computer.

I have the latest TT Home installed and I did not back up, but I can't even make the computer see it anyway.

Where to start ?

Thanks in advance !

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole.

Also, make sure you are using a usb port on the back of the computer using a usb2 port, not a usb3 port if you have one.

And the proper cable that came with the device.

K, did a drum reset - didn't hear any sounds though.... took me to the screen with a lot of little writing on it, then it went right back to the flashing "X".

I am using the same USB port and cable that I always have used.

????

No, unfortunately.

I reset it several times, but the reset seems to shut the unit off with no other reactions. Still get the flashing "X" and that's it.

Windows (XP) just asks me if I'd like to format the drive because it is not readable. Of course, i select no.

I do get the tom tom splash screen and the usb icon screen, but that's it.

????

AHA.... maybe a hint here.

I went in under device manager and see that it is listed as "Tom Tom ONE (v6)"

It is a TT ONE v3 on the case, but I don't recall ever upgrading it. It has been pretty much relegated to the car and not plugged in to the computer.

Now what ?

K, did a drum reset - didn't hear any sounds though.... took me to the screen with a lot of little writing on it, then it went right back to the flashing "X".

I am using the same USB port and cable that I always have used.

????
If you saw a lot of white text on a black background, that would indicate that you had held the button down a little too long (if you hold that long, you wind up in this diagnostic screen). The unit SHOULD be making some sound before that happens, and you need to release the button immediately when you hear it.

Anyway, the good news is that the device is being recognized by your PC. Our immediate concern is that you don't yet have a backup of your unit.

Before you do ANYTHING else, you need to perform that backup to be SURE that you have your maps copied to your PC. We can restore all but your maps from Home if necessary, but those maps are critical.

Please use the process described in this link: https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Having done that, since your PC can see your unit, please check to see if there's a folder there for your U.S. map set. I can't recall what it's called on the small memory (1MB) units, but it will clearly indicate US or North America or similar as part of the name. Within that, you should find a file called mapsettings.cfg. If you find that, you'll know you have found the right folder.

Ask a Question