This happen to anybody else?

TomTom Model(s)
xl 350
I purchased a TomTom XL 350 with lifetime maps.This was the whole reason I bought this model. Said it right on the box. Have not updated in probably 6 - 8 months.

Now I go to update, and the software tells me there has been 5 updates to this map and purchase the latest for 79.95. I go to update my XL like I have in the past but there is nothing there.

I call the help line and they tell me my model is not eligible for lifetime updates.

After a bunch of talking like I'm trying to get one over on them I get activated for updates. Now a map magically appears.

WTF??? :confused::confused::confused:

I purchased a TomTom XL 350 with lifetime maps.This was the whole reason I bought this model. Said it right on the box. Have not updated in probably 6 - 8 months.

Now I go to update, and the software tells me there has been 5 updates to this map and purchase the latest for 79.95. I go to update my XL like I have in the past but there is nothing there.

I call the help line and they tell me my model is not eligible for lifetime updates.

After a bunch of talking like I'm trying to get one over on them I get activated for updates. Now a map magically appears.
Unless you registered your device with the TomTom web site, using the number on the card that was in the box in which your XL350 came, the web site had no way to know that your device was supposed to have lifetime maps. Had you registered your XL350 using the ID on that card?

It would be possible for you to have received an update after purchase without this card if the web site treated your device as eligible under the Most Recent Map guarantee, which is intended to compensate for the time after shipment that a GPS may sit on the shelf before it is sold. However, that is a completely different situation from the Lifetime Maps guarantee.

When you called Customer Support, if they could not find you in the database they should have asked you for the registration number on that card. This number confirms to them that you have an XL350M, not an XL350. (These are exactly the same unit, but the "M" means that this particular unit qualifies for lifetime maps once it has been registered with the number that comes on the card in the box that is prominently marked "Do Not Throw Away".)

Once your device is in the database as eligible for Lifetime Maps, you should be able to update your map on that device without any need to contact Customer Support.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question