Should I upgrade to NA map?

Hi everyone,
Really enjoyed this forum. I'm a new TT One LE owner with 7.10 US/Can. maps. I know that new maps are on sale now at 50% off from the TT UK site. I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the North American maps. For those people that had upgraded to the NA maps, was it worth the money spent even at 50% off? How often does TomTom have 50% off sales on maps? Or perhaps I should wait and get the maps next time it goes on sale. Thanks for the reponses.

NA 6.75 map upgrade was not necessary, but it was beneficial.

More visual details on the map and better accuracy in my region (Pacific Northwest) was the primary reason I upgraded...months ago. I wasn't disappointed, but I paid too much upon reflection. No discount and the US$ to Euro conversion was a killer.

Interestingly, the 50%-Off price with a currency conversion makes the purchase about the same as I paid last summer. Devaluation of the US$ has really taken a toll...hasn't it?

What is notable, is that the size of the new NA map (2056 MB) will not fit on a 2GB card. Add a larger card to the final cost of the upgrade and the discounted purchase isn't nearly as persuasive. IMHO.
:(

Last edited:
You have to use the 720 NA map for the 2GB card. It is 1736mb and will fit on the 2GB card. I forgot this also as I wanted the 910 map and it is 2 large for the 2GB card I just bought and tore open yesterday:mad:

You have to use the 720 NA map for the 2GB card. It is 1736mb and will fit on the 2GB card. I forgot this also as I wanted the 910 map and it is 2 large for the 2GB card I just bought and tore open yesterday:mad:

You can fit the large version onto a 2gb card by deleting the cspeech files. These files are for voice input and will not be needed by your ONE. It gets things right under 2gb

Hi everyone,
Really enjoyed this forum. I'm a new TT One LE owner with 7.10 US/Can. maps. I know that new maps are on sale now at 50% off from the TT UK site. I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the North American maps. ....
The NA maps on sale from the UK site are the same 7.10 maps as are on your unit. Before I found this forum I ordered the US/Canada maps only to find they are the same version and am now in the process of trying to get a refund (pleading ignorance :eek: ). Hope this helps and I have my facts straight.

Actually the NA maps are a larger more detailed version. The maps on his unit are likely USA/Canada 710....

Thanks everyone for the responses thus far. Yes, I do have the USA/Canada 710 maps. Since these maps are the most recent, I'm debating whether or not the extra details of the NA maps is worth it to upgrade, especially now since the maps are on sale. Does anyone know how often TomTom have 50% off sales?

why not pick out a spot on your current maps where you think they are less detailed than you'd like and ask others here who have the NA version to check the detail and post a screen shot. several users here have been doing that for different people.

then you can make a more informed decision.

Alright, if someone would check 44.41.52.68N 63.33.55.94W and verify whether there is more than just Country View Drive listed there (should be a Gale Terrace, Finlay, and Lamont Terrace) on the NA map, it would be appreciated.

And if MapShare is working, there should be a tonne of stores (30+) listed in that area.

I'm not holding my breath, since this area isn't updated in Google Earth, Google Maps nor MapQuest.

Check out the following thread and view the two images that 46jimbo posted (Post #4) because he shows screenshots of the two maps:

showthread.php

I couldn't get the co-ordinates to work, so I looked up country view drive...couldn't find the other streets, and here is a screenshot. looks pretty sparse there, probably the same as you have on your map.

I do see the POIs you have added for the new stores there though which proves the poi's are coming through on mapshare...probably the ones I downloaded yesterday.

Attachments

• dump1013203085.jpg
    dump1013203085.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 400
  • dump743472165.jpg
    dump743472165.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Yes, that was the first thing I noticed with the larger maps. The shorelines are reasonably accurate, although not accurate enough to go hiking. :)

Well I am happy that the PoIs came down - it actually makes me feel like I did something worth-while... :)

And, honestly, I am not surprised that they didn't have the roads in there - I was hoping, mind you... ;)

So I guess I have made my decision - I am going to wait on the NA maps. Maybe if I plan a long trip somewhere, I will splurge and get a new map - but man, the maps (at full price) are 2/3 the cost of a new unit... Maybe I'll just wait and upgrade my GPS every two years! ;)

Well I am happy that the PoIs came down - it actually makes me feel like I did something worth-while... :) QUOTE]

What i'm curious about is how Flyer found the street. I couldn't get the gps values to work so tried Halifax and Country View Drive. Wasn't listed as far as I can tell.

Living close to that spot I knew it was Halifax's sister city Dartmouth. search there and you"ll find it.

also got the co-ordinates to work as well. they need to be typed in correctly...degrees etc in the right spot.

Living close to that spot I knew it was Halifax's sister city Dartmouth. search there and you"ll find it.

also got the co-ordinates to work as well. they need to be typed in correctly...degrees etc in the right spot.

Ah, mystery solved! :rolleyes:

Thanks.........

I have a ONE XL S with 'text to speech'. Does the speech feature still properly read the street names with the NA map?

Ask a Question