setting up RDS-TMC traffic

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
I have a 920T and I am trying to test out the RDS-TMC traffic. At first, I was using TomTom traffic service, but after receiving my phone bill with an extra $47 for data usage, I decided to disable the data connection and use the receiver that came with it (should have done this in the first place :( ).

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. I was on the freeway and was sitting in traffic. The unit showed a yellow traffic line behind my car as it moved on the map. There were no lines in front of the car along my route. The unit didn't say there were any delays or that traffic was slow. After I clicked the map again it changed green, even though the traffic hadn't moved much. What did the yellow line behind my car indicate?

2. Shouldn't the unit have told me there was traffic in route (for the above scenario)? I'm on a major southern CA freeway 405 and it didn't say anything. The solid green dot was showing, so it looked like it was working fine.

3. There are other times, where I get a yellow dot. It's not solid...indicating that the unit is trying to find a station. This seems to be happening more often than the solid green dot. Is it because my car antena is in the rear?

The yellow dot at the top of the traffic bar tells you that you don't have good traffic data. That dot should always be green.

Your finding much the same that I'm finding and that is TMC traffic data is crap compared to TT Traffic Plus which really sucks. I'd like to get some answers out of both TT and Clear Channel. Right now TT says it's a Clear Channel problem. I can't find a support number to talk to CC.

BTW, how did you end up with that much in data charges? What kind of a plan do you have?

timon: for support on clear channel send an email at (e-mail address removed). they usually respond. you will find more info on their website (see email address).

alambforever: the car antenna has nothing to do. make sure you set the tomtom RDS-TMC aerial string properly in the best location to receive the RDS-TMC radio FM signal. the dot should be solid green all the time within the coverage area. check TTN website www.realtimetraffic.net for coverage map. Yellow dot means unit is scanning for signal or analizing data but not locked yet to the proper RDS-TMC carrier. avoid coiling the string.

reception depends on so many factors , some cities have very good coverage, some do not as the case with NYC/NJ and Chicago.

Ask a Question