Setting a favourite via current GPS location

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
Still playing with the new Go510, and came up with an odd situation.

I find that it I travel to a destination, I can add it to my favourites.. but only if I am on the road. Like, I stop on the street and add to favs (using GPS coords), and it says I am at 123 Main Street (or whatever), then I have the option to enter a nickname for the location.. like Mike's House. And that works fine.

However, if I travel to a destination like a shopping mall or community center with a large parking lot, enter the lot, park, and then try to add to favs (again, using the GPS coords option), it shows a question mark as the location; I type in Costco (or whatever parking lot I am in), and it saves the location in the favs.

However, the problem is with the latter, the stored fav is useless. If I am back at home, and navigate the Costco, it says it cannot find the route.

It appears that if I store a fav using a GPS location for a spot that is not directly on a street, it cannot be used later.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way around this, other than going back out the the street at the entrance to the facility and entering the fav from there?

This 3rd part app, Off Road Navigator should help you out.

Thanks, I will check into it. Surprisingly, when I contacted TomTom to inquire about 3rd party maps, this was their reply:

We're working on getting the China and Hong Kong maps available for our US customers. At this time, the Ireland map is available for download by using your Home application. We don't support third party maps, and many other maps may be found in our virtual store (via Home).

Are you saying 3rd party maps are supported on the Go510?

The TomTom device is not designed for off-road travel. So it always 'snaps' to the closest road. If you set your favourite at the point where you turn into the mall, it should work. But if you set it from inside a very large parking lot off the road, it won't work.

As mentioned above, the add-on program 'Off Road' let's you navigate to points like this, but you won't see a map display, unfortunately.

I use a slightly different technique:
1- Browse map 2- Current GPS position 3- add Favorites 4- Point on map
And it works all the time, strange.

46jimbo is correct. If you do the BROWSE MAP option and try to position the cursor in an open area (I browsed to my local park near my house) and click in a blank area it 'snaps' to the nearest road even if you're not.

I use a slightly different technique:
1- Browse map 2- Current GPS position 3- add Favorites 4- Point on map
And it works all the time, strange.

Thanks for the reply. I just tried that, and it appears to work fine.

I was wondering what that 'cursor' function did, now I know!

Ask a Question