SD card and large POI database for GO 720

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Ok so as many of you know, I have just ordered a 720 today from Radio Shack. I want to buy an SD card for it that will have NO issues with the unit. I don't want to have to use a card reader for it or anything. I've read that some people have used 8GB and 16GB cards for this unit just fine, but am not sure if they have problems writting above 4GB unless they use a card reader.

Is this card OK for the unit? Is there a specific class or Read/Writes per second I'm looking for?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171347

Everyone seems to confirm that an SDHC card will work just fine on the 720. Would I still be safer buying a standard SD High Speed 4GB card or will the SDHC DEFINITELY be ok?

Ohh and about the large POI database. I still have the large database from the 920 that I was using for my ONE XL that someone here uploaded, but don't know what version map that came off of. Does anyone have the 920 8.010 map POI database uploaded anywhere? I read that the 720 has a shrunken version of it. POIs are very important to me.

Boy I can't wait to get this 720 in the mail!! And anyone know what state Radio Shack ships from? Thanks!

I, too, put the expanded 920 poi.dat file in m 720 unit with a 810 map. No problems noted.

which card

This was TT's reply to me with same query

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is 080605-005179.

By the looks of things, the read/write speed is a little bit too low for the TomTom to use. You ideally need 10mb/s or higher for the SD card to work with the TomTom

The 4GB SDHC cards are compatible with the TomTom 720 device, however they must be of a hi read/write speed. If you need any further assistance, please let us know.
:eek:

Many use SanDisk 4 gig sdhc Utra II without issues ... including me. I'm sure there are others just as good.

Many use SanDisk 4 gig sdhc Utra II without issues ... including me. I'm sure there are others just as good.

Yea I just got back from Wal-Mart 5 minutes ago and picked up a Sandisk Ultra II for $17.99..Cheaper than newegg. Here's a scan I made just now of the card I bought. It's 15 MB/s and still only a class 2? What do the classes mean? And sorry for the large pic. Newegg also sells a Ultra III which is like $43 but I don't think I need all that speed right? It's a 30MB/s card. And as far as the 920 POI databse, I have it too, but I don't know if it's from map 8.010. Is yours from the latest 8.010 map also?

sandisk001.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed it's formatted as FAT32. Can I leave it that way or should I change it to FAT? I believe the limit for FAT is 4 GB right? What file system are you running dhn? And the GO 720 uses USB 2.0 interface correct? I don't want to have to use my card reader anymore.

Fat32 is correct. The disk is fine. I forget where the poi file was from but I'm sure yours will be ok.

Hrmm... I was thinking that the "larger POI file" was from a late 700-ish map (like: ~7.45) & passed on it, in favor of this "brand-spankin' new" 8-series map.

Maybe I should reconsider... :confused:

There's one thing I've been wondering about using a 8 GB or 16 GB SD card. I've read from some of you that you need a card reader to access any information above 4GB because the 720 won't do it. What I don't understand is, what if I have 9GB worth of total files? How does the TomTom then write to the unit? By writting I mean, storing favorites, routes, etc. Does the TomTom know to use it's free internal memory (providing that I have free space) instead of writting to the SD card which has 9 GB of data? What if the internal memory of 2GB was completely full, and also had 9 GB worth of data on the SD card? Will the TomTom throw up when it tries to write a route? Sorry for all the questions. And here's a chart I found... for those who are curious about other models. Ohh and 1 more question. Why in the world do the older 910's have such a huge internal memory vs the newer devices?

tomtommemorychart.jpg

Last edited:
Sage......

I know what you're asking and do NOT have a definitive answer for you. I do know one user with a 16-gig sdhc card for which he has N A map on it as well as 9 gigs of mp3s! and doesn't appear to have a problem with the unit writing what it needs to in the lower 4 gigs.

I "think" the way he did it was to format the card while the card was in the unit. It will only format to 4 gigs (3.78, actually). He then took the card out and formatted it again in a card reader to the full 16. He reinserted the card and then installed the NA map on the card. He uses the card reader and Explorer to copy the mp3 files.

As I said, I think that's how it was done.

Ask a Question