SD Card and Internal Memory POI Installed Issue

Hi. I have an SD card inserted. The issue is, if I choose the SD card as the used memory, the downloaded POIs from TTHome does not really install but only saves the file in my Computer and had to unzip files manually in the map folder.

Is there a tweak that I need to do so that I can use the SD card without any problem?

The internal memory is running low that's why I have using the SD card for extended memory.

Thanks.

Attachments

• sdcard.jpg
    sdcard.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 480
You seem to have a 730. I assume you have the map on internal but selected the sd card for the pois. Since pois belong in the specific map folder and Home didn't see a map on the (selected) sd card, it could only dl the zip file to the card and have you manually unzip and move the pois to the map folder on internal (using Explorer).

So......point to the location of the map folder (internal, I guess) for the next installation of pois and I expect they will install automatically in the map folder.

But, you are concerned about running out of space, you say.

So, get a 4 gig sdhc card (or higher is ok if running firmware 8.3) and put the map folder on the card and leave everything else in internal. That way, you will have lots of room on the card for pois to be installed. you will still have room on the card for mp3s or photos as well. Leave the operating system and other folders on internal.

What i did was copy all files from "internal" to 4G SD card. And it works just fine. When I open HOME it sees that my SD card still has 2Gbytes and my "internal memory" has almost 2Gbytes too. So, can I just copy the "map folder" to SD card and leave other files in the "internal"? Will this setup work?

Thanks.

To prevent any problems or confusion, I moved ALL of my files from internal memory to SD card as well. It's much simpler this way since from now on all you have to do is just ONLY select "memory card." No reason to ever have to select internal memory.

I'll use this thread to vent about one of my very few pet peeves about the TomTom, in that I really wish that the device would just consolidate any added memory into one big pool, instead of practising apartheid with SD card memory. It gets confusing as to where you put what when updating!

I'll use this thread to vent about one of my very few pet peeves about the TomTom, in that I really wish that the device would just consolidate any added memory into one big pool, instead of practising apartheid with SD card memory. It gets confusing as to where you put what when updating!

AGAIN, to resolve this issue, move ALL of your files (maps, OS, voices, EVERYTHING) onto your SD card. If you do this, you will NEVER have to worry about what device to choose when you open Home. You will ONLY ever have to choose "Memory card" There's no reason to only put your maps or voices on the SD card. If you have a 4GB card, you will have no space issues here.

When I first had my map only on the SD card, I was getting problems because I had to run updates on both the internal memory and SD card.

MOVE EVERYTHING TO THE SD CARD AND KISS THIS PROBLEM GOODBYE!

AGAIN, to resolve this issue, move ALL of your files (maps, OS, voices, EVERYTHING) onto your SD card. If you do this, you will NEVER have to worry about what device to choose when you open Home. You will ONLY ever have to choose "Memory card" There's no reason to only put your maps or voices on the SD card. If you have a 4GB card, you will have no space issues here.

When I first had my map only on the SD card, I was getting problems because I had to run updates on both the internal memory and SD card.

MOVE EVERYTHING TO THE SD CARD AND KISS THIS PROBLEM GOODBYE!

There's two problems I have with this solution, one is that by doing that, I'd be pissing away the 4G of internal memory I paid for when I purchased my 930, and the other being: would I get a performance hit by moving the OS onto an external SD card?

A much nicer solution is for everything to be pooled and seen as one memory cache. Get your thumb out, TomTom.

There's two problems I have with this solution, one is that by doing that, I'd be pissing away the 4G of internal memory I paid for when I purchased my 930, and the other being: would I get a performance hit by moving the OS onto an external SD card?

A much nicer solution is for everything to be pooled and seen as one memory cache. Get your thumb out, TomTom.

You will not encounter a performance hit by moving everything to the SD card as long as you use a decent speed SD card. I use the Sandisk Extreme II 4GB SDHC card and everything runs beautifully! Here is the link to the card I bought. I actually bought mine at walmart for $15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171347

I didn't realize you had a 930 and was thinking you only has 2 GB of internal memory. In your case you could possible by an 8GB but that kinda would defeat the purpose of you having any internal memory. And I also forget that you have 2 maps.

On my device, since I only have 2 GB internal memory, I moved everything from the internal to the 4GB SD card. This also benefits me because when Home goes to update anything, it won't ever have any space limitations, and if I install a new map, I won't have voice recognition disabled, which Home normally does because 2GB isn't enough for everything.

On the 2GB internal memory, I store my MP3's. I also store many MP3's on the remaining space on my SDHC card..

The choice is really up to you. I would think only the EU map would be on the SD card and everything else resides on the internal memory, therefore you shouldn't have any problems when it comes to using Home to update your device. You should only have to selece "internal memory" if you aren't actively using the EU map.

As far as pooling the 2 memories together, PC's can't even really do that. Between 2 thumbdrives or hard drive and thumbdrive, they will always appear as separate devices. I'm surprised that the TomTom does as good a job as it does when it comes to combining the MP3 folders on both my SD card and internal memory. I see what you mean though, that when you open Home, you shouldn't have to select between the 2.

Last edited:
I've pretty much got remembering what is where, the OS is on the internal memory and the maps on the SD card. One further question I have, however: GPSfix wants to update on both the internal and external memory, which one should I accept to have GPSfix work properly?

Whichever location has the ephem folder.

Well, now I know why it requests updates for both, because both internal and external memory have the ephem folder! So, which element needs the ephem folder, the maps or the OS? Or can I just delete one and it propagates correctly no matter where it is?

You can delete one folder. The unit will use the data wherever it is stored. Just remember to select that storage location for updates.

Cool, thx muchly. Can I do the same thing with MapShare updates, because I get asked twice for those too. :eek:

I presume the mapshare changes should be offered for the memory space where the map resides. Do you have a separate map on internal memory and the other one on a sd card, or are both in the same location?

I presume the mapshare changes should be offered for the memory space where the map resides. Do you have a separate map on internal memory and the other one on a sd card, or are both in the same location?

I'm guessing he has EU map and NA map separated, one being on the internal memory and the other on the SD card.

You seem to have a 730. I assume you have the map on internal but selected the sd card for the pois. Since pois belong in the specific map folder and Home didn't see a map on the (selected) sd card, it could only dl the zip file to the card and have you manually unzip and move the pois to the map folder on internal (using Explorer).

So......point to the location of the map folder (internal, I guess) for the next installation of pois and I expect they will install automatically in the map folder.

But, you are concerned about running out of space, you say.

So, get a 4 gig sdhc card (or higher is ok if running firmware 8.3) and put the map folder on the card and leave everything else in internal. That way, you will have lots of room on the card for pois to be installed. you will still have room on the card for mp3s or photos as well. Leave the operating system and other folders on internal.

Please forgive my ignorance but I am still trying to get up to speed in the TT world. Is there somewhere where you need to configure where the 720 looks for maps, POIs, mp3s, etc. or is it only based on where the folders are located? What happens if you have, say, different photos in internal memory than on the SD? What designates which location is referenced? Yes, Sage, I know I should put it all my 4GB SD, which is likely what I'll do eventually but I'd like to know how this works first.

The 720 'knows' to look for mp3's, photos and maps in either internal or on a sdhc card.

So, if you have a mp3 folder on internal with files and a mp3 folder on the sd card with files, when you go to the media-->jukebox, the mp3 files will be merged as such in one list.

Same goes for photos in a properly named photos folder (all lower case, no quotes) in either or both memory location.

Finally, the 720 will find the map regardless of whether the specific map folder is in internal or on the card.

Ask a Question