RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for 140S IQ Routes - Looking for Advice

I've owned a TomTom ONE 140-S, which also seems to be called the IQ Routes Edition, for a year now.

I'd like to add traffic information. The User and Accessories Guides that came with the device mention a Traffic Receiver (RDS-TMC). A manual that I downloaded has more info. Also, I do see traffic options in the UI.

I thought that I would try to buy a receiver. However, I cannot determine what I need. On the USA TomTom site, I see one Traffic Receiver:

- Accessories - TomTom

But, it does not list my model as compatible. Still, it looks like what I need (combo charger and receiver). If I go to the UK site, I see some other receivers. But, it does look like this might be the correct receiver. My device has a mini-USB connector only.

I've also seen other (less expensive) receivers listed online, but they don't seem to include a built in power adapter. It's odd that the adapter costs $70 and a new XL-350T (which includes the receiver is only $90).

I would like to hear from someone who knows which receiver(s) will work with this device.

I live in the San Francisco area. Anyone have personal experience using the traffic receiver locally?

Thanks!
:)

In addition, I would like to have an opinion as to how well this setup works.

It may work but call support at 866-486-6866. If they say it does and you get it directly from TomTom, say you want an email confirming that they'll allow you to return it.

OK, will make a call.

BTW, I haven't seen a way to purchase directly from TomTom in the USA. In fact, it does seem difficult to find this receiver.

And, I'm not sure if I should buy the receiver or a newer unit (for almost the same price) that includes the receiver already.

Latter might be a good option. The 340 and 540 units, for example, have the TM options.

Latter might be a good option. The 340 and 540 units, for example, have the TM options.

Only thing keeping me from doing so is that these don't seem very different from what I already own and I've already gone through the pain of squeezing the map and everything else that I want onto my unit (seems like a slow USB interface for one thing). I'm assuming it will cost me a day to set up something new.

On the other hand, if the unit comes with the receiver and an activation code for the latest map, it may be a win. Perhaps I could even try both the map and receiver on my current unit. Would that be possible?

As suggested, I phoned TomTom.

The person that I reached was helpful. I was told that the receiver should work, but they aren't yet on sale in the USA. He suggested buying a new device. ;-)

But, it's actually a good deal if the new device comes with unlimited maps and the rds traffic. It's still an up-sell at $150 or so. But, I'll check it out.

BTW, they keep referring to this as unlimited traffic, but my understanding is that there is no TomTom service, it's just a receiver that picks up freely broadcast traffic info. Am I mistaken?

I would suggest you purchase a TomTom 335T from Amazon.com for $79.99. You will get the USB Traffic Receiver plus a new map of US and Canada with the 335T.

Traffic is from FM radio stations. Here is a link to the coverage areas.

http://totaltraffic.com/coverageareas/

Last edited:
BTW, they keep referring to this as unlimited traffic, but my understanding is that there is no TomTom service, it's just a receiver that picks up freely broadcast traffic info. Am I mistaken?

The traffic is provided by clearchannel, that owns a bunch of FM radio stations across the country. It's not "free", Clearchannel charges for use of its traffic data. Tomtom pays Clearchannel for each lifetime traffic device sold.

No Traffic Data Available in San Francisco?

As suggested, I purchased a 335T; it was on sale for a low price.

I took the combined charger / receiver out of the box and plugged it into my 140S. I plugged the other end into my car.

What should I see? I clicked on TomTom services and selected Traffic. I get a message that no traffic is available in my area. According to the link posted above, the San Francisco Bay Area is supposed to have traffic info. My city is covered in Green.

Total Traffic Network

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, I also downloaded the latest (free) fuel prices. TomTom services also tells me that there is no price info available.

When you plug the combo car charger/rds-tmc antenna into the unit, a message at the top of the screen will show rds-tmc antenna connected -- IF your model works with that charger.

When you plug the combo car charger/rds-tmc antenna into the unit, a message at the top of the screen will show rds-tmc antenna connected -- IF your model works with that charger.

Why would my model not work with that charger; it seems to be the only one available currently. It's a usb charger and my model does not have any other connections.

As you suggested, I phoned TomTom customer service a few days ago and spoke to someone named Michael. He was quite helpful; he did try to up-sell me, but also took the time to confirm that my 140S would work with this charger/receiver. I also learned that it's not available separately yet in the USA, but is included with the "lifetime traffic units". So, I'm using one that came packaged with a 335T. I assume that it's the same as this:

- Accessories - TomTom

But, perhaps there are differences. However, that's not what I was lead to believe based on my phone conversation.

When I plug in the charger, I do not see an indication that traffic is available.

The Accessories manual that came with my TomTom said that Traffic is available as an optional accessory.

I like the compact size of my 140S (and have a nice leather case for it). My plan was to keep my 140S but to use the receiver from the 335T (and pass on the 335 to someone who doesn't need traffic).

Did free fuel prices come with your purchase? For how long are they free?

No.

However, when I last updated using the One software, I saw a free download of fuel prices. I'd never noticed this before. I downloaded the data file, but it didn't seem to contain actual prices.

No.

However, when I last updated using the One software, I saw a free download of fuel prices. I'd never noticed this before. I downloaded the data file, but it didn't seem to contain actual prices.

By the way, I now see certain gas station icons with a $ when looking at the map. So, the download had some effect. But, when I try to search, no station has any price info. I am also told to download the latest prices.

Perhaps there was some free pricing info provided at one point it time, but it is no longer current. And, to get current, I would have to pay. That's my guess.

It would be nice to have but the number of times I gas up x gas price savings would not come close to to the $20/yr price tag.

If it is free... ok I will take it. If it does not work... well I did not pay money for it so it is ok. ;-)

While we're straying off topic here... I absolutely love fuel prices.

They're pretty accurate most places I've been, but the biggest help is that they tell you what gas stations are still in business.

The built-in gas stations are 6-9 months old at best. The subscription fuel prices are only a couple days old at worse.

The fuel prices should be a paid service. If it was free then either Tomtom changed its pricing, or had a server glitch.

After re-reading your two threads, I understand you have the older 140S and a newly purchased 335T.

Have you tested Live Traffic with the 335T ?
Concerning the 140S, both the Amazon and TT product pages for your unit do not say your 140S is Live Traffic capable/ready.

Is it possible the conversation you had with TT Support had misunderstandings that lead you to believe your unit was Live Traffic capable? I would phone up that Michael guy again at TT with some pointed questions.

Even if you don?t get the 140S Live Traffic working you have all functionality working on the 335T right? Maybe I don?t understand what your goals are?

Why would my model not work with that charger; it seems to be the only one available currently. It's a usb charger and my model does not have any other connections.

I like the compact size of my 140S (and have a nice leather case for it). My plan was to keep my 140S but to use the receiver from the 335T (and pass on the 335 to someone who doesn't need traffic).

What is App version and Map version of your 140S? Does the traffic/USB charger work with your 335T? The traffic/USB receiver must be plugged into your device and powered up on your car 12volt port to work. It will not work off the internal TomTom battery.

I have tested it on a 140S with App 9.053 and Map 860 and it works.

If you are having problems receiving a green circle, you may want to manually tune to a station. Just tap the traffic bar on the right side of the display and go to Traffic preferences. Pick the best FM station in SF/Bay area for you.
Total Traffic Network

Ask a Question