RDS TMC Connector Question

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
The TT webpage for the RDS TMC device, shows a picture of it, with what looks like a mini USB connector. However, the manual for my GO 730 shows the connection port for the RDS TMC as a round hole. The TT webpage claims that the device they are selling is compatible for the GO 730. What gives? Are they using a generic photo to depict the RDS TMC traffic receiver for all models? I've just ordered one on e-Bay (picture there shows a device with the round plug type connector) and I hate to halt the purchase just before it gets processed.

There are two different types of RDS-TMC receiver, the mini USB style device which will work with x20/ x30/ x40/ One Third Edition and all other more recent TomTom One/ XL devices. The RDS receiver with the round plug is for use with x10/ x20/ x30/ x40 TomTom One Third Ediiton and the One XL Classic, this device will not fit some of the more recent models in the One product range as they lack the socket.

If you are European based then either RDS-TMC product will work with your device, if you are American then AFAIK only the round plug style receiver is available (Unless anyone knows different and TomTom might have released a US version of the mini USB style receiver?).

If you are UK based Currys are selling off stock of the Round plug RDS-TMC receiver, they increased the price this morning to a little over ?7 - Consider the reserve/ collect from store option and see if you local store has any left, the manager in my local store told me they were ?19:99 and got quite a shock when he scanned it for a price - Mike

I am based in the US so I believe I made the right purchase. Another thing, though, is the service free? I emailed the seller on e-bay and he replied that as far as he knows, the device does not require a subscription. However, from what I've read around here, all of these devices sold, automatically have a year subscription and you renew afterwards. I could be wrong, as I'm a new TT owner, my previous experiences with traffic enabled devices (Garmin and Dash) require subscriptions.

Its free to use in the UK but I am not so sure that is the case in the USA, no doubt someone will be along to answer that - Mike

Far as I understand it is a free service that local raidio put out, a would have thought that US have same kinda thing ??

Mike - it's free there in the UK, but subscription based here. Gotta watch that fine print!

From the TT site ref their traffic receivers:

For the one-off cost of this accessory, you have a lifetime RDS-TMC subscription *1.

And of course, you look down below and see

*1 This is not applicable to the United States, where the RDS/TMC receiver comes with a 1 year subscription.

I had a feeling that was the case but wasn't 100% sure - cheers for confirming.

One other point worth mentioning is the European receivers are actually different than the North American units and as such will not work when used on the wrong side of the pond. For example any of the RDS devices have that work happily in the UK will not work in the USA, so if you are travelling over to Europe don't bother carting the RDS device with you as its usless over here - Mike

One other point worth mentioning is the European receivers are actually different than the North American units and as such will not work when used on the wrong side of the pond. For example any of the RDS devices have that work happily in the UK will not work in the USA, so if you are travelling over to Europe don't bother carting the RDS device with you as its usless over here - Mike
True enough. They call it RDS over here, too, but it is really called RBDS, and the data format is quite different. If anyone is interested in the gory details, an article written by an engineer from one of our larger vehicle radio manufacturers (Delco) can be found here that explains the differences in standards and some of the reasoning behind it:

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_255-beale.pdf

In Europe the RDS service is primarilly government-sponsored, which is why it is free there.

In the US, the service is run by the news departments of a network of for-profit radio stations (clearchannel), which sells the service to consumers. That is why you have to pay in the US.

Ask a Question