Problem updating maps on GO730

F

Frankie

Hi all,

I have tried to update my maps without success. As read in recent threads, I have replaced the application 8.351 and have a 4Gb SD card.

I have created a "Maps" folder in the SD card and copied the Europe 850_2800 map into it.

When I start-up the device, I get an error message which states "Problem with map. You cannot use this map on this device: Europe-161". Any ideas what I can do to solve this ?

If I revert to the original map I had (map installed from factory as this is the first time I am trying to update it), it works fine, but with outdated maps :(

Thanks for your help.

Copy the Europe 850 map folder directly to the sdhc (It is a sdhc card, right? Not just a sd card). Don't put it into a map folder.

Try that.

Hi dhn,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, it is a 4Gb SDHC card. I have copied the maps folder content directly into the card and removed the "Maps" folder I created, when I boot I get the message "Maps not found".

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

The downloaded map should be found here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Use Explorer to look in the specific map folder of the European map that does not work. you are looking for a file with a name like <yourmap>.meta.dct. If you do not see it, look in the cab file where I said the download should be. Use WinRar. In that cab file should be a file called activation.zip. Extract the file from within and copy to the map folder on the card. See if that helps.

Hi dhn,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The meta.dct file is there. I have reloaded the original map into the "maps" folder in the internal memory and it works fine.

As soon as I empty this directory and put the files into the SDHC card (without putting them into a "maps" folder), it doesn't work.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

All the files STILL need to be in a folder on the sdhc card, such as Europe_West.

Are they?

Hi dhn,

OK, I've placed the files in a folder called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB in the SDHC card and I now get a message saying "You cannot use this map on this device: Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-170".

What do I do now ?

Thanks.

Would recommend copying the entire folder rather than fiddling around with creating folders and working with individual files. Something went amiss somewhere if that map worked on your unit before.

Hi Canderson,

Thanks for the reply, but I copied the entire downloaded map folder (downloaded Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB_850_2820) and copied the entire folder as it stands into the SDHC card as suggested by dhn.

I get "Problem with map You cannot use this map on this device: Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-169".

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Download the "Clear Flash" urility from the TomTom web site, run it at least three times then see if you still get the error message, clear flash can often help with issues such as map activation and it won't delete anything from your device (that you can see anyway) - Mike

Hi Mikealder,

Thanks for the reply. I've done the clear flash tool three times and get the same error.

What do you think ?

Thanks.

In one post you mention a 2GB_169 and in another, 2GB_170.

In the map folder do you see both a meta.dct file numbered 169 and another meta.dct with a 170 in the file name?

CA: Post edited to fully remove links to pirate software sites.

Hi dhn,

Yes, for different versions of the maps that I have downloaded.

I have downloaded the maps from ******* and *******.

Map "Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB_850_2820" has the "Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-169" file.

The one that hadWestern_and_Central_Europe_2GB-170 I think was the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB_850_2834.

So what should I do ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question