postcode problems

Can somebody please help me as I am unable to enter more that 3 digits into the postcode search on my GO 720 and dont know how to resolve this?

Download the 855 postal code file for the UK from the first post in this thread.

Unzip the files into the zip folder in the root of the 720.

Hi,

It must be to do with the latest update as i also have this problem, only this time the internal memory does not have enough room.
No extra's have been installed and to make sure i formatted the TT Memory (FAT32 = 1.91GB)
Used the update feature to bring the device back to normal working mode but the postcodes still don't work and the postcode files are to big to fit on the drive. . .
Should it all fit on the 2GB (1.91GB) internal memory?

any ideas please?

The postal code files for the UK are not that large and should fit easily within the zip folder on the unit.

Something else is going on .........

When you look at the contents of the unit using Explorer, how much space is it reported as used and free?

The 4 postcode files require 10.6mb but it says i only have 7.2mb free,
I have tried a 4GB SD card and clean installed onto that. . . still no 7 digit postcodes, i placed the four files in the Root and rebooted the device still nothing, then i place them in the Western Europe map folder and still nothing!, now i'm stumped.

Well, can you remove voices (computer & otherwise) that you don't use..... Use Home to do so.

One computer voices is more than the size required.

I don't actually use voices so i only installed one just to get the device off my back when it moans thatt there are no voices (Plus during updates voices always appear untill you install one)

ok so. . . .
2GB formatted to 1.91GB
Updated the TT upto Map install.
Explorer now says . . 47.5mb used, 1.86 remaining.
now i click on Home Maps and it says Map available on my Computer and the size is 1898.5mb

Look in the specific map folder using Explorer. Dump any cspeechXXX.dat files for countries you'll never drive in. They're used for Voice Recognition.

Eliminating the unnecessary speech file should get you back the space you need.

ok will do. . i have deleted everything and anything to do with Home & TT in program files and my documents . . .will start from scratch.
If no luck i will try your suggestion and hopefully also get the postcodes back.
You say the four files have to be placed in the memory root?
Why/how does TT not do this automaticlly?

They go in a zip folder in the root of the unit. If you don't plan to drive in the Netherlands, then just put the two UK files into the zip folder and don't worry about the other two.

You may have to get a program from support to fit within the 2 GB memory. I gave up and bought a 4 GB SD card and re-installed have had no more problems.

Regards Ron

ok will do. . i have deleted everything and anything to do with Home & TT in program files and my documents . . .will start from scratch.
If no luck i will try your suggestion and hopefully also get the postcodes back.
You say the four files have to be placed in the memory root?
Why/how does TT not do this automaticlly?

Do I extract it to (for example) E:/ or is there a folder on the drive it has to go into first, like E:/Western_Europe_Maps etc?

I've tried both of those and they don't work.

Last edited:
"Root" means "top level" i.e. not in any other folder.

So, for example, your "Western and Central Europe", "licences" and "voices" folders are all on the root of the TomTom drive.

The "zip" folder with the four postcode files inside, goes at the same level as all those other folders.

Ask a Question