No SD card included????

I just recieved my TT One a few days ago and have only gotten to play with it a little. This is my first nav unit, so I know little about them and am trying to play catch-up.

Anyway, I was looking over the manual and the "What's in the box" sectio says there is an SD carb included. I looked through everything and there was none to be found. Is the card blank or does it contain necessary data? The unit seems to work fine without it.

Thanks in advance.

You're fine. The new TT1's don't include an SD card, it has an internal 1GB memory with the software and maps already loaded.

TT really needs to update the manual.

They cover this situation with the little asterisk* next to the SD Card on the "What's in the box" page of the manual. Which I discovered after getting down on hands and knees and searching to floor to see if I'd dropped the card when I unpacked my TomTom.

* Not included in all products

If I want to add other maps (Western Europe) on a new TT1 without an SD card, do I need to move everything to a new SD card, or can maps co-exist internally and on a card? Do I let the installer take care of it, or do I need to create a particular directory structure on the SD card?

I'm really new at this. In fact, I'm actually a MioMap user updating a TT1 for a technophobe friend. What process do I use to add the Western Europe maps to the TomTom's SD card? Can I simply load the maps onto the SD card using a reader attached to my PC? If so, what directory do they belong in?

The internal memory of the ONE is 1 GB. As the Western Europe map is just under 1 GB also, then there is no way that you have enough room for more than one map on the unit.

When connected to your computer, the ONE shows up as a hard drive. Transfer the existing map folder to the hard drive for safe keeping. Now you can copy the Western Europe map folder onto the ONE. You will no doubt be asked to activate it.

You can also use an SD card. Copy everything from the internal memory onto the card, except for the map folder. Then copy your Western Europe map folder. You will need a card reader for this.

Thanks Jimbo. So you would recommend running everything from a 2GB (or larger) SD card? I'd rather keep NA and the program files on the internal memory and put Western Europe on the SD. According to DF's earlier post, this should be possible.

What do you think?

The North American maps will not fit on the 1GB internal memory as the file size exceeds that.

You can have multiple maps on the internal memory as long as you have storage space. Such an example would be USA/Canada (800MB) and Guam maps (a couple of MB, don't know the exact file sizes). Sorry for the confusion.

The configuration for you would be to have Western Europe on the internal memory only, and the 2GB with the North American map.

Now I'm confused...

The default configuration has NA factory loaded internally and no SD card included. I want to add a 2GB SD card and use it to store additional maps/voices. Possible??

I just realized...is there a difference between North America and Canada/US?

I just realized...is there a difference between North America and Canada/US?

Yes there is.

North American (1.4GB)
USA/Canada (800+ MB)

The USA/Canada map is basically a stripped down version of the North American map. There is some lose in detail (i.e. doesn't show bodies of water) as well as missing POI category.

Since you have a TT1v4, it comes preloaded with the USA/Canada in order to fit in the 1GB internal memory.

The way the TT1 device is designed, the SD slot is used exclusively if an SD card is inserted. In other words, if you place a 2GB SD card, you will not have a total of 3GB of storage only 2GB because the internal memory is disabled.

In order to have the NA maps you need a 2GB card. You basically have to copy the entire contents of the internal memory to the SD card to make the unit boot. You then can delete the USA/Canada map and copy the NA map to the SD card.

So what you have is the SD card with the NA maps, and the internal memory with the USA/Canada map. If you wanted to use the NA map, just slip in the SD card. If you want to use the USA/Canada make, pull out the SD card because the map is already loaded internally.

Now it's beginning to make sense. The question now is will the 2GB card handle NA and Western Europe (or as a second choice Canada / US and Western Europe)? If not, I'll copy everything over to the card and delete Canada / US and install just Western Europe. That way, when the card is out, it's functionally identical to stock, and when the card's in, it will have only European maps.

Does it sound like I'm getting it?

Unfortunately, I'm currently at work and I won't have a chance to play until tomorrow night.

Ask a Question