No Free V8.10 maps for 920 users with 1 year free map certificate

As for the IQ feature I think you could be wrong on the restrictions to the 930?s as I have seen other posts from 920 owners that have said it works very well.:)

You're right... I found the option in the Planning Preferences menu, and I wasn't prompted for IQ Routes on the way home yesterday because I was already in motion when I entered my homeward commute (safety pref to reduce menu options while driving). My bad.

I assume that ALG still doesnt "work" in Canada?
I realy don't know ?? I have it turned on but as I mentioned there isn't any major intersections near me to try it.
The one thing I did see corrected is the TCH in New Brunswick is now 4 lane from the NS border to the QC border.
With the 720 map some sections were missing when I was there in April.

Last edited:
AFAICS the Route IQ feature is still restricted to the 930. The new map enabled ALG, but driving down the San Francisco peninsula to northern San Jose didn't trigger ALG even once. It's easy to see why they were willing to give it away for free... it doesn't always do it. BUT I expect when I drive down to Los Angeles it'll be a big help. :)

I have the first release of V8. It was the one replaced a few days later after release with a modified version that grayed out Lane Images. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Mine reads App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943

I have the first release of V8. It was the one replaced a few days later after release with a modified version that grayed out Lane Images. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Mine reads App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943

I have App 8.010 (9369/040301) OS: 1000
The icon wasn't greyed out for me but now it just works as an on/off toggle. If you have the v810 map, that grey icon might lighten up. TT Home certainly isn't asking me to "upgrade" the firmware.

I got today the 810 map, on my last day of warranty, and alg and iq route work well on my tomtom 920 :)

To get the ALG to work out, you will need to have 8.01 app with the 8.10 map (For X20's). After which, simply disconnect, reset, and test. If, for some reason, it doesn't work, uninstall and re-install the app (TomTom.com/9091) and try it out then, should work like a charm.

I recommend running a backup before beginning this operation. It came in really handy for me -- after upgrading the map and then reinstalling the application, I found myself with a barebones app ("select language," "choose time," etc.) that couldn't find any valid map.

Since I had made a backup before the map upgrade, I could delete the map using TT Home (if you don't do this, the restore will try to preserve your newer map, no matter what condition it's in), restore the backup, and re-attempt the upgrade. That worked well.

I have to say TomTom tech support is just un-co-operative. They want me to fax my POP and map code AGAIN!!! I have faxed this to them TWICE already, previously for the 7.20 map update. they wanted me to pay for the 8.10 update. I bought my unit July this year.

Last edited:
I have to say TomTom tech support is just un-co-operative. They want me to fax my POP and map code AGAIN!!! I have faxed this to them TWICE already, previously for the 7.20 map update. they wanted me to pay for the 8.10 update. I bought my unit July this year.

Strange, when I did my map update, I had to scan my code etc and uploaded it to my tom tom's support page so they can reference back to it when they wanted to.

I post a request to update to new maps version 8.10 (both N.A and Europe) on Monday under My question on the TT website. By the afternoon, I already received an email said that I can download new map. Did the update overnight and everything works fine. I already have proof of purchase and copy of promotion 1yr update free on file for previous update map. I would say TT tech support does a pretty good job and fast.

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised when I phoned TT to request the 8.10 maps. Back in February, 2 month after I got my 920T, I had to fight to get the latest upgrade despite having the 1 year LMG.

I phoned, gave my details, was put on hold (twice, 1 for NA maps and again for EU maps:confused: ) but within 5 minutes the maps were there for downloading:)

I got it

my latest maps guerentee expired early,

so i sent a question, andmy scanned receipt, so they added the 810 map and myadvance lane gueidance thing button works, havnt seen the static image in actiuaon but i got the nav 8 maps

1) Backup all of your maps

2) Delete North American map from the card

3) Update the European maps

4) Back it up.

5) Delete it from the card

6) Restore the North American map

7) Update it

8) Back it up.

Thanks for the suggetion I was wondering how to do both. I just got my free updates today after finding out there was one!.

Pretty gutted really. I bought my 920 in january. Not sure if it was a one year or 30 day map guarantee. I still have the code but not the flyer that came with it.

I just got my tomtom back today after the mainboard failed and was replaced.

When I go to the update map I get your latest map guarantee has expired allthough I have never used it.

It now tells me that there are new versions of the maps available and this will cost me ?90 to update. That is nearly half the price I paid for the Tom Tom 10 months ago. Considering that the TomTom failed on a regular basis and then eventually died within the first year you would think that I would at least get the latest map.

I presume that means I only had a 30 day and not one year guarantee and I am out of luck????

I put in for it but it said that there were no maps available to download.

So I presumed that I must have had the most up to date maps.

Ah well if I want all the features for my reasonably new/reconditioned within the first year device I will have to pay another ?90.

Good value for money eh!!!! Roll on gallileo!!!

Some North American purchasers were lucky enough to receive a certificate good for 1 year instead of 30 days. Not all 920 units came with it. Was a special promo for a while.

Pretty gutted really. I bought my 920 in january. Not sure if it was a one year or 30 day map guarantee. I still have the code but not the flyer that came with it.

I just got my tomtom back today after the mainboard failed and was replaced.

When I go to the update map I get your latest map guarantee has expired allthough I have never used it.

It now tells me that there are new versions of the maps available and this will cost me ?90 to update. That is nearly half the price I paid for the Tom Tom 10 months ago. Considering that the TomTom failed on a regular basis and then eventually died within the first year you would think that I would at least get the latest map.

I presume that means I only had a 30 day and not one year guarantee and I am out of luck????

I strongly suggest that you use email at the tomtom website to contact customer support. You will want to scan your receipt and LMG # and attach it...there is a box to do so. Write a nice request for an update. Don't talk about anything else and be specific. Use their terminology for the maps you are requesting. Ask that they please add to your account (You have registered on Tomtom.com right?) for downloading.

This is what I sent yesterday and a few hours later the new maps were in my account

Hi Gloria,
You were most helpful in the past in providing me with the latest NA and Western Europe maps, V7.20.
This reference details our last contact "080509-000395"
I would greatly appreciate your assistance once again in placing NA V8.10 as well as Western and Central Europe V8.10 in my account for download.

Thanks in advance,
Have a Great Day!
Sidney

Their response:Dear Sidney,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding the updated maps. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

I am happy to let you know that the maps have been added to your account. In order to install them to the TomTom you will need to visit TomTom HOME. The maps should how up as an update that can be downloaded. Because of the size of both the USA/Canada maps and the European maps you will need to install one of the maps to an SD card, as both will not fit on the TomTom at one time.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Sierra
TomTom Customer Support

Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Sidney

Ask a Question