New guy needs Help with selecting the right TomTom?

Hi, I just got my trucking license, and about to be visiting alot of places I never been. I have a couple of questions regarding which TomTom I should get.

1.I going to need a GPS that can set me up with commercial routes. Routes that guide me around low underpasses, (e.g. low bridges) and restricted routes that commercial trucks can't go though. Is there a TomTom that can do that? If so how do you set it up that way?

2. Does the TomTom actually give you point to point directions. Like tell you when to turn and how far away the next turn is? Tell you were routes, intersections, highways are?

3.How easy is it to read the maps. Do they have street names, intersection and route identification?

4.Also I read the battery life is like 5 hours on these does the GPS have an attachment to connect to the cigarette lighter for external power?

5.What if I miss a turn or there is construction or something were I need to turn can you set-up a re-route on these?

6.Lastly how about map updates how do you go about getting the most up to date ones.?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post any help is appreciated.

Some help

question
1 not that I know of but maybe
2 yes
3 fairly easy
4 yes 5 hours on 720 and 920 and all have car lighter adapter
5 automatically refigures your route in seconds
6 online with Tom Tom home about once a year for around $150.00 full price on sale now 50% off you do not need a map every year from what I have seen as it all depends on where you travel as some areas never change and some change with new roads that are built.

I hope this answers some of your questions

Last edited:
my advice would be to not "cheap out" as i find if you do in this type of technology (tom, garmin, magellan, lg, lowrance etc) you get something less user friendly, frustrating you when you need it to work properly and no hope of achieving proper updated information and accessories. I would go with nothing below a GO 720.

just my $.02

While I would agree with not cheaping out... My minimum suggestion is the One XL-S as long as you don't want BlueTooth handsfree calling.
With 3rd party applications and an SD card, you can mimic a 720's features for $50 (or more) less in cost.
Of course, this is just my opinion... Yours (and everyone elses) may differ. :)

I was informed today that the co pilots from Garmin have a truck route feature as they ask what you are driving before calculating the route and a Tractor trailer was there. I work with truck drivers and one was talking about it today but he has never tried it yet.

Hi, I just got my trucking license, and about to be visiting alot of places I never been. I have a couple of questions regarding which TomTom I should get.

1.I going to need a GPS that can set me up with commercial routes. Routes that guide me around low underpasses, (e.g. low bridges) and restricted routes that commercial trucks can't go though. Is there a TomTom that can do that? If so how do you set it up that way?

2. Does the TomTom actually give you point to point directions. Like tell you when to turn and how far away the next turn is? Tell you were routes, intersections, highways are?

3.How easy is it to read the maps. Do they have street names, intersection and route identification?

4.Also I read the battery life is like 5 hours on these does the GPS have an attachment to connect to the cigarette lighter for external power?

5.What if I miss a turn or there is construction or something were I need to turn can you set-up a re-route on these?

6.Lastly how about map updates how do you go about getting the most up to date ones.?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post any help is appreciated.

You may want to look at the CoPilot (not the Garmin GPS, which is Street Pilot - this is a PC based program). We have a driver that uses it and loves it. He can punch in the type of rig he is driving (box, 53, etc) and it comes back with what routes he is allowed and not allowed to take. He also uses the PC for all sorts of other uses so he isn't dealing with a single purpose device just to provide his navigation.

You may want to look at the CoPilot (not the Garmin GPS, which is Street Pilot - this is a PC based program). We have a driver that uses it and loves it. He can punch in the type of rig he is driving (box, 53, etc) and it comes back with what routes he is allowed and not allowed to take. He also uses the PC for all sorts of other uses so he isn't dealing with a single purpose device just to provide his navigation.

Thanks 4 the reply guys this information really helps alot. Sorry it took so long 2 reply but been away 4 awhile. Is there a way someone could give me link 2 the CoPilot drkramer and racefan were nice enough to tell me about? So I could learn more about it. And possibly purchase one?

Last edited:

Ask a Question