New 720 - want voice recognition

I just picked up my 720 and I am trying to get the voice recognition to work.
App 7.481
GPS v1.21
Map: North_America_2GB v720.1803

I tried following the sticky but the problem is my map files don't have the speech files that are required. I tried to find v710 of the maps but can't locate them anywhere online.

I just picked up my 720 and I am trying to get the voice recognition to work.
App 7.481
GPS v1.21
Map: North_America_2GB v720.1803

I tried following the sticky but the problem is my map files don't have the speech files that are required. I tried to find v710 of the maps but can't locate them anywhere online.

Try this link: http://tomtom.com/updates/ASR_North_America.zip

All the files go into the NA map folder but be aware you may run into **severe** space limitations. My suggestion would be to get a 4-gi sdhc card formatted as fat32 and install the map and the speech files there.

Missing speech recognition icons

Same problem here... Just brought a TomTom go 720 and uploaded the new firmware version 7.481 and v720 maps of North America. Is there anyway to get the missing speech recognition files and icons? help...:(

The installed map says:(I installed it using the Latest Map Guarantee)
North America
Size: 1204.2MB
Version: 720.1803
It doesn't have the speech recognition files.

Latest map guarantee doesn't offer full maps

The latest map on my device is not the same as the map on sale.
Map on my device:
North America
size: 1204.2MB

Map in TomTom product website:
Map of North America
v7.20
size: 1617MB

When I check the status of the map on my device using the latest map guarantee, it says "Your device already has the latest map. There is no map update available"
What do I do?
I don't have the speech recognition files on my device.

This is a new one..:eek: Tomtom really has to stop doing it to their customers. You can try contacting tomtom and telling them that you are not getting the right map for your device using map guarantee and they might throw you a bone. It really depends on who you get for customer support. I generally have had pretty good luck with them.

The latest map on my device is not the same as the map on sale.
Map on my device:
North America
size: 1204.2MB

Map in TomTom product website:
Map of North America
v7.20
size: 1617MB

When I check the status of the map on my device using the latest map guarantee, it says "Your device already has the latest map. There is no map update available"
What do I do?
I don't have the speech recognition files on my device.

I called the customer service at TomTom and they said both the maps are the same. The memory difference is because some files are hidden on the device. Is that true?
Is there some way I could activate speech recognition on my tomtom?

Try this link: http://tomtom.com/updates/ASR_North_America.zip

All the files go into the NA map folder but be aware you may run into **severe** space limitations. My suggestion would be to get a 4-gi sdhc card formatted as fat32 and install the map and the speech files there.

I downloaded, unzipped the file from the link and transferred it to my gps device but, it doesn't make a difference. I still don't see the speech icons on screen. Please help!!

Same issue -- new 720 and want VR

Please do...

Hello...

Just updated my device using same method. My configuration shows:
Device: AK8SA AAGS2
App: 7.481 (9086/040301)
GPS: v1.21
Boot: 1.0012
Map: North_America_2GB v7.20.1803
Language: English (no kidding)

Anyway, am VERY intersted in activating Voice Recognition.

Also VERY interested in the maximum size SD I can use as I only have 64MB free, things will be tight. I'm looking at other threads for that as well. By the by...does anyone know whether or not the "generic" SD sticks work well?

Tks!

Tom

Also VERY interested in the maximum size SD I can use as I only have 64MB free, things will be tight
Don't confuse your internal RAM with a memory card. Memory card is used to store mp3s and other things and won't effect your internal memory. SDHC cards are compatible with 720 so find whatever you can afford.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=sdhc&FID=7957

Also, the cspeech.dat files are not compatible between the maps. So you can't use v7.15 map files from 920 for v7.15 map for 720 etc.

Last edited:

Ask a Question