Mini USB extension for power

I want to try window mounting the 730 over near the driver's side pillar. As such, I also want to try running the power hidden under the dash and up the pillar.

Will a 6' USB extension cable be ok to get power to the TomTom?

Not that I endorse this, but my cigarette lighter usb power cable wasn't long enough either. I simply cut the wire in half, stripped the ends and extended it using another wire. It works perfectly, and is alot cheaper than a usb extension cable.

That said, depending in your model, you'll either need a 2 conductor or a 3 conductor cable to etend the wire. On your 730, you'll need a 3 conductor cable. Red, black and white wires from the cigarette plug. XL's only have a red and black wire, iirc.

Not that I endorse this, but my cigarette lighter usb power cable wasn't long enough either. I simply cut the wire in half, stripped the ends and extended it using another wire. It works perfectly, and is alot cheaper than a usb extension cable.

That said, depending in your model, you'll either need a 2 conductor or a 3 conductor cable to etend the wire. On your 730, you'll need a 3 conductor cable. Red, black and white wires from the cigarette plug. XL's only have a red and black wire, iirc.
I have often suspected that the 3rd wire on the higher end models corresponds to the availability of the FM transmitter. FM reception from my TT720 has always been VERY sensitive to the position of the power cord, and for power only with no data, there's no real reason for 3 wires to a USB power source. I still think it's an antenna, although running it in parallel with the ground wire can't help the transmission any.

You're probably correct. I had my 730 wired with only the red and black and not the white and it still charged and worked properly. I decided to go ahead and hook up the white because it was there. I didn't try the FM transmitter without the white wire connected, I will have to experiment with this.

The third wire is voltage sense from the plug which controls the regulator circuit in the ciggy plug body, if this wire breaks the voltage goes way high causing components to burn out in the navigation device (a known fact that has been occuring for some years).

If you are going to extend anything I would add a ciggy socket to the car on a length of cable and fit the unmodified charger lead in to that, bury the whole lot under the dash and you will have a decent install, have a look at This thread for some ideasd - Mike

I know this sounds weird, but when I said "custom" cable, I really meant custom lol. I cut a normal usb cable, and added about 7' of RJ-45 cable in between. Been working great for 5 years now on my Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax/card reader :)

The third wire is voltage sense from the plug which controls the regulator circuit in the ciggy plug body...
They expect SO much I2R voltage drop across their own short little USB wire that they have to use a sense circuit at the business end? That's one strange design philosophy. Also isn't universal across the model lines.

Oh well - so much for my antenna theory. Didn't like it running // to the ground anyway...

Ask a Question