MicroSD Card

TomTom Model(s)
Go1005
Hi guys

Got a microSD card to try some custom things on my 1005, when I insert it into the tomtom it asks me to format it, not a problem but then when i connect it to my laptop to transfer items onto it it's saying it's full to capacity even though nothing is on it, i tried a FAT32 format (not quick format) but still when i pop it into my unit it's asking to format.

Is there a way round this?

Cheers Guys!

Nope. The SD card gets formatted in TomTom's proprietory format. After that, the user has no access to the contents on it.

Hi guys

Got a microSD card to try some custom things on my 1005, when I insert it into the tomtom it asks me to format it, not a problem but then when i connect it to my laptop to transfer items onto it it's saying it's full to capacity even though nothing is on it, i tried a FAT32 format (not quick format) but still when i pop it into my unit it's asking to format.

Is there a way round this?

Cheers Guys!
TomTom does not use a standard FAT format for the uSD card on these newer units, and all content you wish to store on it needs to be transferred using the Add Community Content from the MyDrive app on your PC.

Can I throw in a slightly pedantic difference of opinion, guys?...

AFAIK, the GO1005 and the other "NAV3" TomToms use a standard FAT32 format for SD cards.
But they then do a sort of "sub-format" and fill the cards up with a series of files named Tomtom.000, TomTom.001 etc. so no space is left available.

I could be talking rubbish, but if I look at a TomTom-supplied card from a GO1005, Windows and an alternative disk utility both report it as FAT32.
Windows can copy and paste the individual numbered files to and from the desktop too.

@Andy
Let me describe this in a better fashion than I did previously. Yes, it's initially a FAT32 'macro' format as can be done on any PC.
However, as you say, there's a sub-format going on. They don't like to talk about it, but there's an old style Linux file system being used 'under' that FAT32. If I recall correctly, it's ext2.
So while a PC can see two files on a uSD card created by a TomTom, you can't see any further than that. The two files are two ext2 Linux partitions.
Once the card is formatted for FAT32, the TomTom then tosses the ext2 file system format on top of that.

I'll say this and then hush up ... if anyone is curious about how certain things are stored on one of these units, the uSD card is one of the few clues. Having a look at the 'files' on the card as though they were a Linux file system is instructive.

Somehow I missed seeing your reply canderson.... many thanks for that, I must have a little play!

Ask a Question