Map update for TomTom 720 GO - Is it worth the price?

I am considering purchasing a map updates from TomTom for my TomTom 720 GO. The price is $71.60 for six quarterly map updates.

My question is has anyone purchased map updates from TomTom and is it worth the cost???

Thanks!

Not an easy question to answer.

What version is your current 720 map? Does it have IQ routing? In any given geographical area, there tend not to be a great number of changes from map update to map update.

Are you considering holding on to your unit for the life of the map subscription since map subscriptions are not normally transferable from device to device.

Things to consider.

My TomTom has the following Map version info:

MapShare DLL Version: 2.8.2.2264
Patch format version: 2.4
POI Subscriptions: 7395, 7383, 7315

I cannot find any indication that it has IQ routing.

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen shows the application version number.

Now, tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version (the latest is North_America_2GB 870 and 875 is due within a couple of weeks).

Well then, you are indeed missing out on IQ routing (and you need the required application (the latest is 8.351) to take advantage of that functionality which didn't appear until maps at the 8X level.

Makes a significant different in route planning and ETA.

However, your current map is almost four years old! So, it appears to me that you have survived without continual map updates.

The decision is still yours -- whether to just update to the current one -- or go for a subscription.

But you've waited this long. You might want to wait a bit longer (2 weeks or so) till 875 is released before you make a decision.

You may want to think twice about buying the subscription maps. I purchased the updated map, along with the 18 months of updates just last week, for $71.60. This Saturday, do to extreme heat my GO720 borke, and is unrepairable. I contacted Tomtom on getting a refund on the maps, since I cannot use them anymore, and will never receive any of the updates. They told me sorry, they don't do this, and apologized for the "inconvenience". So, as long as your GPS stays operational, you will get your money's worth. Otherwise, they steal from you. I was going to replace my GO720 with an XXL540, but not any more. Now it will be a Garmin.

Also, if you have survived this long without updates, I would suggest you consider buying a SINGLE map update to v875 rather than the subscription service. It could well be cheaper.

Help ??? TOMTOM 720T

Not sure about that.. My husband got this TomTom from the Pawn.. We are Expedite Drivers and our Old One went out.. needed one fast and that was the closest thing to us to buy one... the book inside downloaded said go 720 T on site it says go 720.. There is No Software the Update is $79.95.. The Ghost was there I cleaned it a couple times got allot of junk out from behind it... I just don't know much else about it.. Would Love some Advice.. Thank You :)

Not clear about your reference to 'the Ghost.....' but anyway........

Turn on the machine and tap the satellite bars. The next screen shows the version number of the application installed. The latest is 8.351. What does your say?

Next, tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version. The current is North_America_2gb v880. What does yours say?

You'll need the pc application called Home 2 and get it here: tomtom.com/home

Install it. Connect the unit to Home and register the unit with a user name (email) and password.

Application updates (if you need one) are free. Map updates do cost......

And before doing **anything**, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your current unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

i dig in to this as well i have a TT Go 720 T too i use western europe v705.1480 below the bluetooth indicator the version says 9.450

I realy like it compaired to the XL "1" and XL "2" it feels like a tank
i am thinking of buying just the latest map and no map updates because i rather buy them for the xl "1"

i beleive the tt go720 can do traffic lane guide and with the latest map may also iq routes , but i am not shure about that one .

greets
tomtommaniac

:eek: 9.450, or 9.430 :eek:

The 705 really is an 'antique', and I have no doubt that 885 would provide a great many changes outside of core city streets.

I'm pretty certain that 705 was the map that came with your 720 unit when you purchased it. Imagine how many changes and additions have happened to the roads in your area since then. Not a bad way to assess things.

could well be since it only did live 4 days then it was at tom tom for a year and a half , then i allready had a other one .. but really this thing is luxerious compaired to modern gps ..

so i think it deserves a new map

Ask a Question