Long time user, I need a new one, but have concerns

So my XXL recently died after 3-4 years of heavy use, and I need a new one.

I was very happy with my XXL, and I went straight to Amazon to get a new model. However, the reviews on Amazon have been distressing. People have been reporting a number of problems from a poorly designed window mount to inaccurate verbal instructions, to disappearing maps, to not being able to update maps at all. Most of these poor reviews seem to be time stamped around 2012

I'm also aware that Apple contracted with TomTom for their phone map program, and I understand there were some serious issues with that...

Now, many companies experience bumps in the road. Some continue to go downhill, while others learn from their mistakes.

So, first I'd like to know if the quality of TT products has crashed and burned, or if I can mostly ignore the Amazon reviews. How about the accuracy of the maps? Still decent or not?

Second my needs are fairly basic. I don't need traffic updates or blue tooth. A 5 inch screen with lifetime maps are really my only requirements. Can someone please suggest models that fit this criteria (that aren't known to be plagued with problems)

Thanks!

I'm also aware that Apple contracted with TomTom for their phone map program, and I understand there were some serious issues with that...
Apple bought the raw data from TomTom and had their own programmers massage it then.

So, first I'd like to know if the quality of TT products has crashed and burned, or if I can mostly ignore the Amazon reviews. How about the accuracy of the maps? Still decent or not?
The devices did not get worse, they just deleted a lot of features we had gotten used to in higher end devices.

Maps improving all the time, albeit incrementally.
At this time I would follow the advice from tgold.

Although now discontinued you can still get a new XXL540TM from Amazon for $150. It's the model you're happy with and has the 5" screen and Lifetime maps you want.
I have owned 2 540 models and both had problems with losing the satellite signal. I conversed with Tom Tom many times and got no relief. I loved them, but once out of warranty they don't know you. They do not do repairs, but will sell you a new one. They gave me a hard time as I bought it on Ebay and I told them it was brand new in the box, what difference does it make? I have probably owned at least 5 Tom Toms and thought they were the best, but service means a lot to me and that is lacking. I ended up buying a Garmin which I am not in love with. I love the itinerary function that used to be available, but don't know which ones have it now. Any info would be appreciated.

The new Go 50 and 60 models do have the itinerary function BUT so many features are still missing from the new models that there is a learning curve involved.

I don't recognize that problem of losing GPS signals and indeed find that my two XXL540's are faster to get a position lock than does my Start 25. I keep those three PNDs as backup and because they enjoy Lifetime maps but for practical reasons I pretty much now only ever use my TomTom apps on my phone.

Ask a Question