iPhone app: issues with Navigating to Contacts

TomTom Model(s)
720, 930, 940, XL, One 3rd
Interesting video - I would love to see how he thinks the Nav To Contacts is supposed to work (it doesn't) and also the nav to postcode example he entered wasn't even available as it doesn't exist - still it gives potential purchasers a feel for the application I guess - Mike

I tried the Navigate to Contacts feature. The first two told me to enter it manually. The third worked. I cannot tell you what made the third one acceptible over the first two ... they all seem to have the same address format and the same information contained (street, city, state, zip)

Tomtom doesn't support alphanumeric street numbers. Were the problem addresses ones with hyphens and/or letters?

Navigon and CoPilot are both happy to use the addresses I have stored in my phone, TomTom fails to use them, they are all entered in a normal way - If two applications can use them and TT cannot its got to be down to the softwear, I won't be editting my phone book to suit this application though - I never got Navigate to Contact working on any of the PDA software installs I have used TomTom on in the past, it simply didn't work correctly - Mike

Hard time finding address from contacts

Tomtom seems to be having a hard time converting addresses into locations to go to. One of them crashes the APP, others it can find, but most it can't find correctly, It keeps asking for country, like its not parsing correctly.

Any thoughts?

Just a small update on this. The reason it seems to fail is based on the LAST address City (or country) you have selected. For example, if my last selected country was New Hampshire (not sure why NH is a country but anyhow) then any contact in NH works but any contact outside NH fails. If my last selected country was USA then all contacts seem to work fine. So it appears the bug is the contact selection needs to default the country back to nothing, or use the iphone country stored in the contact for the root level selection.

Thanks for the feedback - Tomtom (based in Europe) implemented the US states as individual countries in their software. Perhaps they didn't test navigating to addresses in different state/countries.

Also, cnet is reporting that a zipcode is required for an contact-based address to be successful. Anyone willing to test out these theories and make some sense out of it?

There is an earlier thread on addresses that I'll merge these posts into.

I have got Navto Contacts working at long last (UK Based) most of my addresses are in what I consider a normal format (note this address is made up to illustrate the difference, this doesn't work:

321 Preston New Road
Blackpool
Lancashire
UK
FY41HJ

This does work, putting the house number on its own line:

Preston New Road
Blackpool
Lancashire
UK
FY41HJ

I doubt very much I will bother to edit the phone book details on my phone to work with this, the other iPhone apps such as CoPilot and Navigon, both these applications are better in use than the TT IMHO so I doubt the TT application will get pressed in to service too often - Mike

Ask a Question